Security Installer Community

SMS/GSM & Breakglass 2000

Guest futura

Guest futura

Hello All

Couple of questions?

Wondering if anyone has had much experience with GSM/SMS modules? I have been looking at the SMS shield in particular and wondering if there is anyone out there with some hands on experience of this or other products like it? I have looked at previous discussions on here dated 2003 and wondered if more light might be able to be shed on this topic particularly from people who have installed this system and might be able to report the 'true pros and cons'. The Castle Wanderer has also been mentioned but based on some of their prices I will probably need to live in a castle to be able to afford it!! However to be fair I dont know the cost of it I know SMS shield is approx 199 quid.

The other question is I have a small storage room with racking shelves and via my local alarm company they have supplied me with Microwave/IR Sensors to cover the isles. The exact units are the Detection Systems DS820A. Running along one of the walls of the room are lots of very large windows (each sensor points down the isle then onto a section of the window). I am a little concerned that if the shelves were rammed full of equipment (which they sometimes are) then someone could smash one of these windows and have a 'pick and mix' style help your self session without actually triggering the 820 sensors (or at least there would be a long delay). I was thinking of the Pyronix Breakglass 2000 which advertises to pick up glass smash and avoids all the hassle of foil which I have been warned against. The other concern here is my Castle Meridian Panel instruction manual (which isnt all that brill) is saying something about needing a DP junction box to be able to deal with foil systems. Does anyone out there have experience of this Breakglass detector? And also any comments about it massively appreciated!!

Kind Regards to ALL..

William

P.S. Hello to Ian the maker of the SMS Shield product (who does hang out on here)thanks for the advice and help. Just so you know there is nothing you have said to me I doubt I would just like to hear some feedback from actual users before finalising decisions.

No matter how good your alarm system is it wont stop anyone from having a pick and mix style party, physical prevention should always come first.

The way you have worded your post makes me think you need prevent it as far as possible, however i am assuming here!

Hello William,

I only know of one company that is on here that has installed an SMShield, there might be others that I don't know of though. Dave, the web-master, has one waiting for him. There are, however, plenty of others that I can put you into contact with who can give you their thoughts. All are professional alarm installers.

I'll not disclose their details here though, if you want to ask me directly, then by all means do so.

Regards

Ian

Guest futura

Hello Iancant

I see what you are saying. Valid point

Perhaps a rethink on maybe boarding the windows up before worrying about fancy sensors?

However, I am still interested to hear if anyone has hands on experience of using the 'break glass' style sensors as there are other smaller windows in the property and I think the break glass sensor might just allow that little extra time to get the alarm message out possibley before a PIR senses anything but I am unsure? Maybe you have experience of using one?

I think listening to your point I will board the windows up as like you say you can have all the bells and alrams in the world but if someone wants to take something then once the big windows are smashed they will. But some of the other windows in the property are internal and high and quite small so in some ways it would be nice to keep those or it will be a very dark and dingy place.

Other message for SMSShield Ian many thanks for your point too I will send you a direct email and it would be nice to speak to some other users.

Thanks for the comments.

William

Hi William

Im not sure about the Pyronix break glass detectors (bgd's) as ive never used the Pyronix type. Generally bgd's are ok but you may still get false alarms from these as much as movement sensors due to traffic noise and other strange souces. They are better than foil in many ways but you dont get false alarms from foil if its been fitted correctly. Foils downfall is its easily damaged and time consuming to replace.

I would think you would be hard pressed to get foil fitted anyway, i guess its only old gits like me who would know how to fit it, you never see it these days!

I would definitley board the windows(actually i would brick them up), and the type of movement sensor would need to be dependant on the enviroment that it was to be used in.

Generally Dualtec's will only be required in an eviroment that maybe unstable, such as garages, warehouses etc, but i would'nt like to say without having seen the room they are to be used in.

If i read you posting correctly then i would guess the dualtec's are fitted already? If you board your windows then breakglass sensors maybe not work or not be needed anyway!

Anyway hope this helps!

Ian

Archived