Security Installer Community

Odyssey 2e Problems

Corky

Hi,

I installed my second home alarm without problems four or five years ago. Recently I had a problem and replaced the alarm box which was definitely faulty.

After finding your great website during my search for a replacement I acted upon the info from one particular forum reply regarding a Reson8 bellbox and followed the advice given to seek a Texecom replacement. I opted for an Odyssey 2E which has been fitted with wiring instructions given in item 132

Oddysey SL8

a d

b a

c t

d b

s s

Why have you set it to scb?

Thanks - sit looks like all I need to do is swap b with a on the SL8 and its good to go? I tried the SCB since it was something to try. What is the difference between a SCB and a SAB?

Guest anguscanplay

did you power the whole system down when you did the change over

sounds to me like you have managed to crash the panel

usually caused by having a bad control panel battery connected when switching the mains back on

power it all down mains and control panel battery

count to ten

reconnect mains first

keypads should now work

if so check the control panel battery maybe time for a new one

reading your post again am sure you powered the system battery first

did you power the whole system down when you did the change over

sounds to me like you have managed to crash the panel

usually caused by having a bad control panel battery connected when switching the mains back on

power it all down mains and control panel battery

count to ten

reconnect mains first

keypads should now work

if so check the control panel battery maybe time for a new one

reading your post again am sure you powered the system battery first

Ok, back a couple of steps. I left some things out to keep the typing down a little.

As well as replacing the bell, I figured after 4 years it was also time for a new battery, so this is a new battery fitted at the same time as the new bell.

When the last bell went faulty, I reset the panel to factory conditions as per the SL8 instruction manual as I forgot the engineer code. Prior to this, the tamper light always flashed in all modes, set and unset, although it never affected the setting or running of the system, possibly a warning that the number of settings had reached a limit and required engineers action?

Before fitting the bell the whole system was powered down. On power up on fitting the new bell, yes I did restart by the (new) battery first which is an ONLINE lead sealed acid battery 1.3Ah.

I don

Guest anguscanplay

repeat above advise

power down

count to ten

power up mains first

sounds like a very low current battery which if discharged any would stuggle when the mains was reconnected

sab means the sounder uses the power from the panel to sound

scb means the sounder uses the local battery to sound

• 2 weeks later...
repeat above advise

power down

count to ten

power up mains first

sounds like a very low current battery which if discharged any would stuggle when the mains was reconnected

sab means the sounder uses the power from the panel to sound

scb means the sounder uses the local battery to sound

Ok- problem fixed. It was a temper switch fault on a PIR that I had fixed some time ago. It seems the plastic bit on the cover no longer closes the tamper switch. I removed this PIR from the tamper circuit and all is fine. :whistle:

Resetting the power as described did nothing, setting the bell to SAB also seemed to do nothing.

SO !!! many thanks everyone for your help - it gave me more confidence to try things I would not have thought of otherwise, which prompted me to think a little further into things for myself. :rolleyes:

One more question - with the panel locked up showing tamper, the bell switched off with the entry code, strobe still flashing. Then when removing bell cover, bell sounded, but when bell tamper switch was closed it stopped. I would have thought that the bell would have kept going until reset by the panel? :hmm:

Guest anguscanplay

some do some dont some ignore any second tampera till first tamper cleared

shows the difficulties of remote diagnostics but glad it gave you the confidence

ps can you start monday

some do some dont some ignore any second tampera till first tamper cleared

shows the difficulties of remote diagnostics but glad it gave you the confidence

ps can you start monday

Think I could do this full time with the right tutor!

Got another idea - :hmm: I can use the 'faulty' bellbox I removed and fit it to mine - I have the same SL8 control panel and it was really easy to install.

My plan is this - the 'faulty' bellbox was flashing and ringing :fear: but not in response to the control panel. So, I could swap this for my 'dummy' box at the back of the house and use the strobe on it. Surely I would need to wire in the strobe on this with the strobe on the main box in parallel? OR, :unsure: would I connect the strobe neg and the strobe pos from the panel or which two wires from the bell box? The panel is the easier option as cable can be fed from my upstairs airing cupboard easily. At the moment the strobe does not use the Strobe pos in the panel.

Archived