Security Installer Community

Verits 8 Blown Fuse

andytw

Hi,

My 'Veritas 8' of 2 weeks decided to blow the internal 125mA mains fuse today.

I removed the battery and then replaced the fuse and all is well.

All voltages appear OK.

The battery came from my old panel and is of the order of 10 years old.

After reading about batteries on here the other day it was going to get swapped soon anyway.

I didn't realise they caused problems and it was false economy to keep it.

I will now get another battery tomorrow.

I am just a bit concerned that the battery has it's own fuse which is still OK and it was the mains fuse that blew.

Does this sound right ?

Andy

Does this sound right ?

Nope. Never known a mains fuse to blow on an intruder panel. It should only blow if the transformer is overloaded\knackered. If the battery is u\s then the battery fuse should blow way before the mains one is at risk of blowing.

Hi,

My 'Veritas 8' of 2 weeks decided to blow the internal 125mA mains fuse today.

I removed the battery and then replaced the fuse and all is well.

All voltages appear OK.

The battery came from my old panel and is of the order of 10 years old.

After reading about batteries on here the other day it was going to get swapped soon anyway.

I didn't realise they caused problems and it was false economy to keep it.

I will now get another battery tomorrow.

I am just a bit concerned that the battery has it's own fuse which is still OK and it was the mains fuse that blew.

Does this sound right ?

Andy

Andy

10 years is pretty serious mate :lol: You defo need to get another battery.

As for the fuses 125mA doesn't sound right for a main fuse. I have to admit that I don't know the values off the top of my head as the Veritas is normally a very very stable panel.

If the main fuse has gone, it is perfectly reasonable, if the battery is seriously knackered, for the battery to pull so much current that the main fuse went before the battery fuse. Put a new batt in and see how things go.

You have chosen a good panel :yes: Although you may not think so at the moment.

cheers

Dave

Guest Alarm Guard

I would suggest that the likely explanation is this:

When you installed the panel, when you connected the mains cable into the panel you overtightened the screw for the live connection which slightly twisted one side of the fuse holder and damaged the fuse.

I have seen this happen before.

AG

Andy

10 years is pretty serious mate :lol: You defo need to get another battery.

As for the fuses 125mA doesn't sound right for a main fuse. I have to admit that I don't know the values off the top of my head as the Veritas is normally a very very stable panel.

If the main fuse has gone, it is perfectly reasonable, if the battery is seriously knackered, for the battery to pull so much current that the main fuse went before the battery fuse. Put a new batt in and see how things go.

You have chosen a good panel :yes: Although you may not think so at the moment.

cheers

Dave

125ma mate.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I have seen the mains fuse (the glass one in the mains terminal block in the panel) go a few times and it's always been a problem with the transformer. They usually go with a bit of a bang though! Has the panel been stored in a damp garage or similar environment for quite a while before it was installed? It could have been a surge or similar if you powered up with the mains first. You may want to check the output voltage from your transformer with the figure stated in the manual. It should be reasonably close and stable, but don't attempt this if you are at all unsure...

Trade Member

I have seen the mains fuse (the glass one in the mains terminal block in the panel) go a few times and it's always been a problem with the transformer. They usually go with a bit of a bang though! Has the panel been stored in a damp garage or similar environment for quite a while before it was installed? It could have been a surge or similar if you powered up with the mains first. You may want to check the output voltage from your transformer with the figure stated in the manual. It should be reasonably close and stable, but don't attempt this if you are at all unsure...

Nothing untoward about the install. It was new from an electrical retailer, stored in the house and then installed a couple of weeks ago.

I will measure the AC from the Xformer though I don't remember seeing it in the book,....will look again.

Work wih computers now but many years in Communications and electronics so should be safe :whistle:

With regard to AGs theory re the fuse being damaged, I have seen fuses with a loose end cap but on close inspection this one is solid and is gone in the middle, so I think it is a genuine blow.

Enough said, as far as I am concerned, could be battery so am getting a new one, might of been a spike, possibly just one of those things, but probably most important is that your are all not saying 'yeah they do that'.

Thanks again,

Andy

Nothing untoward about the install. It was new from an electrical retailer, stored in the house and then installed a couple of weeks ago.

I will measure the AC from the Xformer though I don't remember seeing it in the book,....will look again.

Work wih computers now but many years in Communications and electronics so should be safe :whistle:

With regard to AGs theory re the fuse being damaged, I have seen fuses with a loose end cap but on close inspection this one is solid and is gone in the middle, so I think it is a genuine blow.

Enough said, as far as I am concerned, could be battery so am getting a new one, might of been a spike, possibly just one of those things, but probably most important is that your are all not saying 'yeah they do that'.

Thanks again,

Andy

Nope, they don't. Normally a reliable little panel.

If in doubt give Technical Support a ring. They are on your doorstep in goold old Somerset.

cheers

Dave

Archived