Security Installer Community

Optima Compact Problem

Greetings, Im on a train so forgive me if I am being vague!!!

Just received a call from a mate ref an optima panel, which if I recall correctly is a G8 compact panel.

The first problem was that none of the PIRs were lit.... simple, check and change Fuse in panel. All was well.

He called me back to say that one of the PIRs wasnt lighting, and another one had a permenantly lit LED. I went through the usual 'whats changed' and I dont think there is an external influence causing the problem.

He has been inside the panel, dont worry, I DID cover all the safety guff to ensure Daniel didnt meet the Lions and all that jazz!!!

On the way past the keypad he said the DAY light was flashing, the panel isnt in engineer mode, no tampers activated, could set the alarm etc etc.

Once at the panel, the power LED was on. Opened the panel and said the Transformer was RED HOT.

I told him to isolate the SFCU and pull the internal mains fuse and then take off the internal battery.... Oh .... and just put up with the lousy whining noise from outside (the neighbours!!!) til I could get there.... the neighbours will go just as soon as the battery in the sounder runs down.

I have to admit, from here (back in train seat) I am miffed as to what it could be other than a panel fault or transformer failing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Billy

Solutions4CCTV

Keeping an eye on your property

Greetings, Im on a train so forgive me if I am being vague!!!

Just received a call from a mate ref an optima panel, which if I recall correctly is a G8 compact panel.

The first problem was that none of the PIRs were lit.... simple, check and change Fuse in panel. All was well.

He called me back to say that one of the PIRs wasnt lighting, and another one had a permenantly lit LED. I went through the usual 'whats changed' and I dont think there is an external influence causing the problem.

He has been inside the panel, dont worry, I DID cover all the safety guff to ensure Daniel didnt meet the Lions and all that jazz!!!

On the way past the keypad he said the DAY light was flashing, the panel isnt in engineer mode, no tampers activated, could set the alarm etc etc.

Once at the panel, the power LED was on. Opened the panel and said the Transformer was RED HOT.

I told him to isolate the SFCU and pull the internal mains fuse and then take off the internal battery.... Oh .... and just put up with the lousy whining noise from outside (the neighbours!!!) til I could get there.... the neighbours will go just as soon as the battery in the sounder runs down.

I have to admit, from here (back in train seat) I am miffed as to what it could be other than a panel fault or transformer failing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Billy

Battery Fault :rolleyes:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Battery Fault :rolleyes:

JP Thanks for the response....

For the sake of the user, until I can get to him!!!!

Can I get him to power back up WITHOUT a back up battery and all will be well? I take it thats also the cause for the transformer to overheat?

Thanks

Billy

Solutions4CCTV

Keeping an eye on your property

JP Thanks for the response....

For the sake of the user, until I can get to him!!!!

Can I get him to power back up WITHOUT a back up battery and all will be well? I take it thats also the cause for the transformer to overheat?

Thanks

Billy

I would say it's a fire hazzard untill checked by a pro, be safe leave it off! :sign:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived