Security Installer Community

Homebrew Cctv

gladiator

I am looking to install my own CCTV system. I would like to monitor the back of the house and possibly the front porch.

I was looking at either

1) networked cameras all running on an IP network

2) dedicated cctv cameras connected to my pc via a DVR card

My main priority is to have a motion detection system. I do not need to record all the activity. I want to use the system in conjuction with a new alarm I am getting fitted that has a speech dialler. My objective is that once I recieve a call from my stsem saying the alarm has gone off I want to check the images online via my phone.

After some research it came clear that ccd based cameras are better than cmos based ones.

So can anyone recommend me a setup - cameras, , hardware, software

First off, I can't recommend connecting cameras to a home PC with a DVR card slapped in. It needs to be built for the job and dedicated to it, which is exactlt what a DVR is, so just buy one of those. This can have motion record facilities in it, automatic offsite archving, remote access.

Next, a decent day\night camera.

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/ could be a good starting place.

Any comments on this piece of kit?

Absolute garbage.

Budget wise, around 2-250 for the camera, 3-500 for the DVR and then up to 100 for ancillaries (cables, power supplies etc...). Not had much luck myself with some of the DIY outlets and cameras so can't really recommend any directly myself.

How much were you thinking of spending?

Ok so I should buy a separate DVR plus a decent day/night camera. What budget should I be looking at?

Budget depends on how much you want to spend, what is the value of piece of mind, the contents of your back garden and the knowledge of who has called at your front door. For 2 cameras to install yourself connected to the network I would say

I didnt set a budget.

There is nothing in the contents of the back garden. My only reason for installing CCTV is that I was recently broken into and I am having a new alarm fitted. So as part of that I was thinking of adding CCTV so if my alarm does go off I may be able to get a picture of the criminals. Thats why I am interested in day/night camera thats externally mounted.

I rather not have a camera looking out from within a window - its no deterrent at all.

You need to establish what you want to achieve with the CCTV system.

Is it mainly as a deterrent? If so then external CCTV housings alone may do all thats required.

If you did have cameras and someone broke in, what exactly would you want the recorded images to show?

If you installed the cameras out of reach, would they end up looking directly down on top of anyone trying to get in, if they are too low, whats stopping someone covering it up.

There are many factors involved when deciding on the ideal CCTV equipment, this is why its a good idea for you to decide exactly what you want to cover with the cameras and then research into what is possible.

If you are intending to install the system yourself, then I would have to say go for equipment that is fairly universal.

A vari focal day/night vandal resistant dome housed camera that can be mounted on a wall.

A networkable DVR with enough hard drive space to record images while you are on holiday.

To add,

If you get a DVR that you can connect to the network, and it allows remote connections via a web browser you will at least be able to monitor the cameras from a remote PC. You would need a router and a static IP address or use a dynamic dns service to get to your DVR's web server page though.

I think my main reason for having the cctv is confirmation that when my alarm goes off and I am contacted that I can quickly check whether it was not a false alarm. Also there is the detterrent feature as well. I would assume that most burglars would dress up or cover their faces so not sure what value the pictures would have.

So in conclusion two fold 1) to check for false alarm and 2) as a deterrent

I would want to cover the back of the house. I am sure that I can place a camera at the level of my upstairs window which will provide a full view of the area under most risk. As my kitchen is extended it has many windows so these are the main areas to cover.

Then possibly a camera to the front to monitor the front door but I do not expect a break in from the front as I live on a fairly busy road and you can see my house from a fair way out.

Archived