Security Installer Community

Voltage Drop

Taylormade

how come people are saying its voltage here? if he tested at dvr end and nothing then tested at the camera end and a picture then i wouldnt say it was the voltage i would argue that it was a problem with the coax cable. or am i barking completley up the wrong tree??

cheers cjt

hi CJTELECTRICS,

the O/P feels it a voltage issue thats why the help has been directed that way, but it may well be a sync issue too. modern DVR's require goor video signals where as a monitor will accept a noisy or low power signal and work fine. over 100 meters though this should not be the problem imo.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi OH,

not wanting another 'tamper' bun fight with James and Paul (which i won anyway :rolleyes: ).

i don't say just upping the voltage wil not work, but using local regulators is imo a more ellegant solution. if you have a split psu they are only splitting the supply by fuses. yes y u will have diagnostics via these fuses but a camera on 20 feet of cable will be subjected to the higher 'corrective' voltage perhaps 16 - 18 volts, needed to drive the furthest camera/s.

depending on ambient temperature camera's draw different current when hot gainst cold (so voltage will alter). for a voltage regulator to work properly it needs around 17 - 20 input voltage to 'regulate' down to 12vdc. so then 2 regulators are needed, (or one local regulator from 2 psu's). a brutal way is fit a high power zenor diode and 2500uf res cap to the local camera, fed by 100 ohm 10 watt resistor.

regs

alan

But we agree my suggestion is a viable and valid answer.

11 words and to the point :P

now 19

cheers

But we agree my suggestion is a viable and valid answer.

11 words and to the point :P

now 19

cheers

hi OH,

a chair is viable if not supplied with a cussion, the option with is more viable and i prefer comfort.

(my word count meter burnt ot years ago :rolleyes: )

regs

alan

no 100 metres seems a shortish run to be fair arfur i installed two cameras on a pole about 150 metres from the premises in rg59 and they worked a treat. dvr saw camera views (the power was supplied locally from the poles)dedicated circuit in armoured i might add) but i would sugest he at least checks the cables is ok as you never know ??

cjt

hi CJTELECTRICS

agreed (and is actually what i said). get above 100 meters and depends then on the DVR charecteristics and the quality of the camera make. seen several come unstuck swapping out from MUX/VCR to DVR and changing to 'bargain' colour camera's only to get such problems on big cables run's.

but i must admit, the 1st test for me in the o/p's situation is fit a decent temp battery at the camera end, see if that clears it up, other wise he risk's going around in circles.

regs

alan

Hi Guys, thanks for all your valued advice, after all that, it turned out to be a break in the coax, I Primarily deal in telecoms, so placed my oscillator tool one one end and followed it back until I found the internal break. I am now using the 4 & 8 way power distribution boxs from Dynamic, they seem to be OK. Thanks once again. LT

• 1 month later...
Guest anguscanplay
no 100 metres seems a shortish run to be fair arfur i installed two cameras on a pole about 150 metres from the premises in rg59 and they worked a treat. dvr saw camera views (the power was supplied locally from the poles)dedicated circuit in armoured i might add) but i would sugest he at least checks the cables is ok as you never know ??

cjt

no body going to say sorry to colin then for ignoring him

in all these posts about the sexy end of the business a lot of people seem to have forgotten the basics

Archived