Security Installer Community

Linking Fire Alarm To Intruder Alarm

Guest thedog

I Humbly Move aside and stand corrected

not trying to be a smart ass Adam or show any one up .Just trying to blow the myth that going through an intruder digi complies.

Redcare have cornered the Market but my biggest customer still insists on the intruder route as all his systems are L's so he see it as enhancing the system by signalling.

Err, so if I understand correctly, it is legal to have a unmonitored fire alarm system, and illegal to plug it to a transmitter ?

I don't see the point of preventing users to add security !? :unsure:

uski

Guest Cerberus NI
not trying to be a smart ass Adam or show any one up .Just trying to blow the myth that going through an intruder digi complies.

Redcare have cornered the Market but my biggest customer still insists on the intruder route as all his systems are L's so he see it as enhancing the system by signalling.

Be gentle - I still don't see the direct correlation between the two,other than the cables between both must be fire rated and monitored for fault up to the termination within the signalling unit.

I'll hold my hands up to better knowledge of course!

Err, so if I understand correctly, it is legal to have a unmonitored fire alarm system, and illegal to plug it to a transmitter ?

That's about the same logic applied to most rules and regulations applicable in the UK.

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but last time i looked we werent in the habit of running fireproof phone cable to fire alarms, so whatever happens if the stu is housed in a bombproof box fed with a piro left in a blowtorch for half an hour, the line to that box will still be in bog standard poly cable. :fear:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

I was under the assumption that the cable had to be fire rated from the fire panel to a connection or relay box adjacent

to the intruder panel.

If the stu is directly into the fire panel it is not fire rated.

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

Does that really have anything to do with it. No piece of a fire alarm apart from the cable is fire resistant and i thought thats why redcare was loved by the insurance cos if the line/panel/psu/stu gets melted it goes into no-response

According to the B.T redcare(fire) account manager i spoke to about this you can use a

redcare which IS connected to a intruder panel just as long the interconnecting cable is fire proof and the fire panel MUST signal fire fault via the ATE(stu) to the A.R.C :question:

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but last time i looked we werent in the habit of running fireproof phone cable to fire alarms, so whatever happens if the stu is housed in a bombproof box fed with a piro left in a blowtorch for half an hour, the line to that box will still be in bog standard poly cable. :fear:

one of the fire guy's had a topic about using FP cat5 from where the line enters the building.....

Archived