Security Installer Community

New Detector With Old Panel: Any Problem ?

uski

Hi everybody !

I would like to upgrade the existing security system of a relative's house. He does not want any false alarm... and he does not have a lot of money.

As there is already an old but fully functionnal panel, I have tought of replacing the old, cheap PIR detectors with good quality dual-tech ones, keeping the old panel.

Do you see a problem with this approach ? The panel is extremely simple (4 wired zones), I can service it myself (batery needs to be replaced, and wiring connections needs to be done again as they were done using some adhesive tape by the original "professionnal" installer - needless to say that I prefer doing the setup myself (correctly) than paying someone to do a job like that (badly)).

I could also buy a newer panel but money is really a limiting factor here. And as it seems to be hard to obtain the installer manual for recent panels... I guess I'll do with the old one, at least I have the documentation that came with it !

Is there any problem with this approach ? I do not want any monitoring, and I'll respect the local regs particularly with the external siren. I'll also respect some common sense rules (timer on internal siren, ...) based on what I've read on this forum.

uski

No problem in the "mechanics" of fitting replacement movement detectors but there are other issues involving possible problems with old equipment.

Thanks a lot for your replies ! ;)

Sounds OK ... but what is the panel?

I don't have any model number or brand available here, but I remember it's something rather unknown, maybe a French supplier (I live in France). The panel is probably 10-15 years old... yes I know it is old. It has some french certifications (NFA2P) so it's not a cheap eBay panel.

It has some rather simple and robust electronics so I am quite confident it will continue to work for some years. It's just the arm/disarm procedure that is quite a pain (a key switch on the panel itself).

I'll manage to have it replaced by a brand new panel in 2-3 years anyway... I just want to provide a slow, smooth transition between and old system and a new one, keeping as much security as possible. Or, if any of you have an old panel (maybe removed from a customer that doesn't want it), if you want to give it to me... go on ! I pay all the fees :whistle: I rarely have a chance to play with recent/not-too-old gear.

Now, my plans for the current system:

- Replace the PIR sensors located in corridors by dual-tech ones (DT-640STC bought from eBay). Goal: eliminate false alarms

- Add a Visonic DUO240 360

it sounds to me like it could well b a logic 4, like you said they are a good panel but they are quite old and spares for that panel may not be available ceratinly wouldnt know where to get that panel from now. ne pirs should be ook tho

logic for is obsolete now, try ade stuff, quite good and cheap

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

As for the panel, it is made of a black "user interface" and a beige metal box for the rest.

I Googled for "logic 4" and it seems it's not that kind of panel (http://www.myatari.net/issues/jan2005/images/font01.jpg), unfortunately.

The user interface consists (from memory) of a "TEST" button, one button per zone for exclusion, and the key switch on the right.

There are several LEDs:

- Green Mains power LED

- Red Memory LED (which flashes when the tamper zone is deactivated using a switch on the PCB itself)

- One red "Memory" LED per zone

- One yellow "Excluded" (?) LED per zone

The power supply is not on the control PCB, it's a small block located at the bottom right of the panel. It handles the battery charge. There are two 5x20mm fuses on the control PCB, one for the PIR power, and one for the sirens battery charge circuit.

There is also an extension connector (.1" pitch header) allowing the interface with a phone transmitter. It reports the status of the alarm system (armed/disarmed, ...).

The entry/exit delay is programmed using two Piher (like http://www.sos.sk/novinky/obr/obr307_uvod.jpg) potentiometers located a little higher than the "user interface".

Hmm... that's all I can remember I think :(

[EDIT: when the panel is armed, I think that almost if not all the LEDs shut off. The buttons on the "user interface" are soft buttons, i.e. like a "touch control", they are pressed through a plastic sheet that covers the entire user interface. The LEDs have a rectangular shape]

Here's a little drawing of the panel , just for fun. Don't spend time trying to ID the panel, I'd prefer hearing your remarks about what I plan to do :)

Look to the picture as if you had superman's ability to see through objects, i.e. it is shown closed (black & beige parts, with the two screws at the top center and bottom center) but I also drew the location of the control PCB and of the battery/power supply unit.

In have drawn the buttons in dark gray (I for IN, O for OUT, two per zone in fact). The orange LEDs are lit when the particular zone is excluded. There is also a green light below each zone memory LED showing the current zone status. So there are actually 3 LEDs per zone.

almpanel.png

uski

Here's a little drawing of the panel , just for fun. Don't spend time trying to ID the panel, I'd prefer hearing your remarks about what I plan to do :)

Look to the picture as if you had superman's ability to see through objects, i.e. it is shown closed (black & beige parts, with the two screws at the top center and bottom center) but I also drew the location of the control PCB and of the battery/power supply unit.

In have drawn the buttons in dark gray (I for IN, O for OUT, two per zone in fact). The orange LEDs are lit when the particular zone is excluded. There is also a green light below each zone memory LED showing the current zone status. So there are actually 3 LEDs per zone.

almpanel.png

uski

Looks like an old bentley keyswitch too me :banned:

i didnt think it was a logic 4

Erm, right.

it sounds to me like it could well b a logic 4,

Perhaps just leave this one to the grown ups Colin. You're posts tend to be more misleading than helpful.

i didnt know that bentley panel had kayswitches just trying to help find what panel it was

One of the old bentleys did....may be a symphony??...i may be wrong although i have'nt been wrong for a long time...not since the last time anyway????? :whistle:

Archived