Security Installer Community

Interior Lights And Pir

Hello folks,

First off - nice forum with many interesting characters and a great deal of useful information.

We're in the process of completely renovating an older home in Germany. I'm toying with the idea of installing a programmable relay switch system called "LOGO" made by Siemens. Among other things, I could use this system to turn interior lights on and off in a "controlled semi-random manner" when we are absent, to make the place look occupied.

My question is, what does one need to consider in terms of selecting a motion detector for use in a dark room in which the light will suddenly turn on? I could imagine that some PIRs might alarm in this situation?

Any input would be much greatly appreciated,

OImALumberjack

(and I'm OK..)

Hello folks,

First off - nice forum with many interesting characters and a great deal of useful information.

We're in the process of completely renovating an older home in Germany. I'm toying with the idea of installing a programmable relay switch system called "LOGO" made by Siemens. Among other things, I could use this system to turn interior lights on and off in a "controlled semi-random manner" when we are absent, to make the place look occupied.

My question is, what does one need to consider in terms of selecting a motion detector for use in a dark room in which the light will suddenly turn on? I could imagine that some PIRs might alarm in this situation?

Any input would be much greatly appreciated,

OImALumberjack

(and I'm OK..)

Hi OImALumberjack,

i'll assume i'm one of the more 'interesting' characters that haunt these hallowed halls of knowkledge :whistle:

pirs are unlikely to be tripped by lights going on, unless a powerful spot is directed straight at them or placed close to it. modern PIRs have white light filters to combat car head lamps causing such a problem.

you can get indevidual light switches which have either a random operation or timed on after dusk mode made by Smith's Industries, but it's got to be said not very pretty to look at but may be cheaper.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi arfur mo,

Thanks very much for the speedy reply!

Hi OImALumberjack,

i'll assume i'm one of the more 'interesting' characters that haunt these hallowed halls of knowkledge :whistle:

:yes:

pirs are unlikely to be tripped by lights going on, unless a powerful spot is directed straight at them or placed close to it. modern PIRs have white light filters to combat car head lamps causing such a problem.

you can get indevidual light switches which have either a random operation or timed on after dusk mode made by Smith's Industries, but it's got to be said not very pretty to look at but may be cheaper.

That's good news!

LOGO offers advantages over individual switches in that it (1) sits in the distribution box with the circuit breakers and is as such invisible and (2) inputs / outputs can be programmed via PC - so I could program "movement" through the house - eg. hallway briefly followed by living room for a few hours, then hallway - bedroom and out, etc. It can be interfaced with the alarm system (hallway lights when Fire, outdoor flood lights when Intruder, etc. ) Pretty cool and it's really not that terribly expensive, either.

I'm sure to ask lots of questions in the next while - I got some quotes for a professional alarm system install here in Germany and the least expensive one was 6000 Euros - this for contacts on all windows and doors, 4 PIRs and 4 smoke detectors. Residentail intruder alarms are uncommon here, therefore the (unaffordable) prices I guess, and it looks like I will need to DIY.

Thanks again,

OImALumberjack

(and I'm OK..)

I'm sure to ask lots of questions in the next while - I got some quotes for a professional alarm system install here in Germany and the least expensive one was 6000 Euros - this for contacts on all windows and doors, 4 PIRs and 4 smoke detectors. Residentail intruder alarms are uncommon here, therefore the (unaffordable) prices I guess, and it looks like I will need to DIY.

:hmm: 6k euro's = 4k

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived