Security Installer Community

Spurring For A Ringmain & Testing

Guest Madadh-cuain

Guest Madadh-cuain

Hi everyone.

Completely new on here and looking for a bit of advice. Sorry for the novel.

I'm a time servered electrician but have been involved mainly in the mainainence side of things in an industrial environment for the past 25 odd years. everything from H.v. switching and carrying out preventative Maintenance of machinery, industrial installations ect.

It's been a long long time since I done any domestic work and outside of my employment I only do other electrical work in my own home and very well aware of the safety side of things.

I've just completed building a conservatory onto my house, I've layed 20mm steel tubing into the concrete base and installed 3 brass floor mounted double sockets, one socket in each of the three of the corners, using 2.5 mm pvc flex, I have wired these in the form of a radial circuit and these are fitted to ceramic floor tiles.

I have fitted a FCU (fused connection unit) and supplied it from a double socket in my dinning room, the FCU is mounted on the wall beside the double socket, from the dryfix box at the back of the FCU I have run a 20mm copex tubing and used a compex gland onto the 20mm coupling of the steel tubing my Question is this.

Is it o.k. to supply the 3 double sockets in a radial from this FCU? which I have fused down to 10 amp because I intend the sockets to be used only for 2 table lamps, t.v. and a 1KW blow air heater, only need 1kw because I have installed a central heating radiator, so the blow air heater is really a top up if it's particulary cold.

I know I will have to carry out tests (earth loop impedance test and earth contiuity) I have access to test gear which I can borow from work, but where do I obtain the test forms for a domestic installation? and who do I send them to? do I just need to keep them incase I sell the house at a later date.

usually I do the installations at work and someone else will do the testing

Also while I was in the DIY mood I took the decision to spur 1 double socket from each of the double sockets in my lounge (4 in total) i.e one spured socket from each socket, distance between the socket and it's own spured socket is about 10 inches, used a 4mm flat twin & earth only because I had no 2.5mm, should this T&E be run inside a copex tubing between back boxes behind the plaster wall for protection or is the T&E o.k. as it is? Am I right in assuming I will have to test each of the spurs as well.

Employer is sending me on a testing and inspection course and 16th edition refresher course later next year.

But Any ifo/help/critisism at the moment is greatfully recieved.

Thanks

No probs with the way you have carried out the circuit with regards to supplying from SFCU

common practice if unable to extend ring or supply new circuit. make sure your earthing/bonding

consraints are correct and that you have not exceeded the max permitted value for Zs.

P.s if sockets likely to be used for supplying outside equipment then sockets must be RCd protected.

cheers

ve hav ze nolij or if not we ask!!!!

Guest Madadh-cuain
No probs with the way you have carried out the circuit with regards to supplying from SFCU

common practice if unable to extend ring or supply new circuit. make sure your earthing/bonding

consraints are correct and that you have not exceeded the max permitted value for Zs.

P.s if sockets likely to be used for supplying outside equipment then sockets must be RCd protected.

cheers

Everone.

Many thanks for your replies, appreciated,

Sockets will be supplied from load side of the FCU as it should be, 3 double sockets in total, earth/bonding as it should be,

sockets will not be used for external equipment as I have a weatherproof external socket for my gardening equipment which I or family members use with portable rcd unit.

Know it's early, but hope you all have a good Christmas and new year again thanks for your help.

Chilly Scotland :cold2:

Everone.

Many thanks for your replies, appreciated,

Sockets will be supplied from load side of the FCU as it should be, 3 double sockets in total, earth/bonding as it should be,

sockets will not be used for external equipment as I have a weatherproof external socket for my gardening equipment which I or family members use with portable rcd unit.

Know it's early, but hope you all have a good Christmas and new year again thanks for your help.

Chilly Scotland :cold2:

It's not chilly up here it's FREEEEEEEEZZZIN & wet!

Archived