Security Installer Community

Bt Nte5's And Reinstallation

Red Fox UK

Hello Guys,

Getting DSL and 2x SKY boxes installed next week so need to make some changes to the BT installation in the house...

Currently have one NTE5 downstairs - from this box I need to install two extension boxes (with built in DSL splitter) upstairs using cable that travels around the outside of the house.

Anybody got any advice or information on the type of cable/ext. boxes I need for this?

Also, would like to change the master box completely using a new back box and DSL splitter front (I know this isn't "technically" allowed by BT).

Many Thanks,

Warren

Red Fox | Hosting

Affordable and Reliable UK Based Web Hosting

I did something similar a few years ago, used standard phone cable and plain phone sockets (of the BT-legal variety).

Problem I found was that the phone cable insulation degrades pretty quickly where exposed to the elements - especially sun.

Since then I've gone wireless, with the wiring just a basic core to phone(s) and router all within a few feet of the master socket.

Is the extra wiring to deal with the sky boxes? For most services I understand they don't need a permanent phone line.

Another potential problem is that ADSL doesn't always like going down extension wiring - best to take the broadband signal from a filter in the master socket, or as close to it (length of wire) as you can. I confess that mine has a 1.5 metre run of cable from the master to the filter!

Yes - the new boxes are for the Sky boxes, they call home and so always need to be on a phone line. Also DSL will be installed away from the master socket, wireless networking won't be suitable.

I found this article about wiring extension boxes up using CAT cable:

http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

...the main issue is that the wire needs to rou around the outside of the house.

Red Fox | Hosting

Yes - the new boxes are for the Sky boxes, they call home and so always need to be on a phone line. Also DSL will be installed away from the master socket, wireless networking won't be suitable.

I found this article about wiring extension boxes up using CAT cable:

http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

...the main issue is that the wire needs to route around the outside of the house.

That's a good article. :yes:

Further thoughts to ponder on:

1. Split the phone and ADSL signals once, preferably at the master socket.

2. Have separate internal (OK, routed outside) wiring for phone and Broadband/data

3. RJ45 plugs/sockets and Cat5e cable will do it all; you'll need Balun's on the active phone sockets.

4. On the other hand, phones only need 3 cores with multiple extensions and broadband only 2. So you can cheat if you can do your own cable terminations.

5. Ideally place your router near the master socket and have an internal LAN, rather than DSL. Much more flexible.

Saw a new-build house last week that had multiple RJ45 sockets close to every power point, all going back to a patch panel under the stairs, adjacent to the phone master socket, already wired in to the panel. Builder even supplied 3 baluns and adding a broadband router was a doddle!

The gadgets Im looking at carry the raw unfiltered signal to all the extensions - meaning I can have a filter at each socket without quality loss (is that right)?

"Gadgets" - what do you mean? Do you have a web link?

You can only pick up the ADSL signal at one place at a time; it ain't like a phone with up to 3 additional active wired extensions (REN=4 max I think). :-|

no but i suppose once you split it you could then pipe it round and only use 1 socket at a time, but for speed etc i would recomend fitting your router at the master and then cat5'ing to your switch and then filtering all intenal cabling

This product:

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?pr...=262&page=1

I would assume I would take a feed from the A and B IDC terminals to the other sockets where filtering would occur? Using outdoor CAT cable?

Red Fox | Hosting

You'll need to use the 3 terminal as well if you want your extension phones to ring

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Archived