Security Installer Community

Karizma Plus Died When A Cable Was Cut

Guest kgm

Hi,

I have a Karizma plus system that was installed about three years ago. Yesterday, the cable to one of the detectors was cut and the system seems to have died. When the cable was cut, the internal sounder was triggered, but the keypad LCD went blank and the keypad failed to respond, so I couldn't cancel the alarm. Since it didn't timeout, I had to disconnect the sounder. Today, I noticed that the PIRs are not detecting, so I guess I have a power/battery problem.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How could a cut cable cause such a catastrophic failure of the system? I'm somewhat unimpressed with the security being provided here since the cable was to an external detector on a shed, and only the internal sounder was triggered. Consequently, an intruder could have broken into the shed by cutting the cable, and if we were out, our neighbours would not have heard the alarm.

2. Any ideas on the likely solution to the problem? If it's non-trivial, I'll consider replacing the Karizma given this apparent weakness - or could this happen to any make/model?

Thanks for any help,

Kevin.

It sounds possibly like the cable being cut has blown an internal fuse in the alarm panel itself, causing the keypad and detectors to loose their power feed.

Might be an idea to give an engineer a call to repair and service the system at the same time.

Hi,

I have a Karizma plus system that was installed about three years ago. Yesterday, the cable to one of the detectors was cut and the system seems to have died. When the cable was cut, the internal sounder was triggered, but the keypad LCD went blank and the keypad failed to respond, so I couldn't cancel the alarm. Since it didn't timeout, I had to disconnect the sounder. Today, I noticed that the PIRs are not detecting, so I guess I have a power/battery problem.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How could a cut cable cause such a catastrophic failure of the system? I'm somewhat unimpressed with the security being provided here since the cable was to an external detector on a shed, and only the internal sounder was triggered. Consequently, an intruder could have broken into the shed by cutting the cable, and if we were out, our neighbours would not have heard the alarm.

When the cable was cut the system informed you of a problem, if you had of been out then the system should have been set and it would/should have rang the external sounder.

2. Any ideas on the likely solution to the problem? If it's non-trivial, I'll consider replacing the Karizma given this apparent weakness - or could this happen to any make/model?

Cutting the cable would have blown the dc power fuse which is why the rkp was not working, replacing the fuse will resolve that problem provided there isnt a short on the cut cable

Thanks for any help,

Kevin.

Many thanks for your replies, everyone. Good point about it not being armed...

It was a professional installation by a 'reputable company'. But if this behaviour indicates a defective installation, I guess I won't be calling them back in. If there's anyone in this forum who covers the Reading area and is interested in taking a look, and performing a service at the same time, please feel free to email me.

Thanks again.

Kevin.

Archived