Security Installer Community

What Do You Recommend

Guest dunclie

Check out ESP, they have just relised an updated version of there system with 4 cameras for a good price, the cams are IR and 4mm lens.

Just trying to do my job

What do you recommend is not a question you want to ask in a forum like this. Everybody will have their own view and will have their own preffered manufacturer.

As you will have noticed most of the guys recommend DM Sprites and this is a very good piece of kit. It is very well made, looks pretty and on the whole (except for the occasional hard disk) is reliable and easy to use. Another huge plus is it uses it's own operating system and is not PC based so you don't get the problems normally associated with PC's eg lock ups and crashes.

However as the guys have mentioned your budget is far too low for any kind of proffesional kit so you have to look in the DIY or import market :no: . You don't have to import these yourselves as there are companies who trade in imported CCTV and some also sell to joe public obviously at inflated prices.

Getting a proffesional system installed has big plus points. You get the correct camera installed in the correct place with the correct lens going back to the correct recorder with the right monitor resolution for the job and backup for when things go wrong. Imagine when you plug all your bits in and there the picture is, not. What piece of kit is faulty? You can't send it all back. :cry:

However I can tell from your post that you are just trying to set up something cheap and cheerful that won't be the best but will work. Us proffesionals should be careful about dissing some of the kit from the far east, as some of it is quite good. It is a minefield though so you need to be careful what you choose as a previous poster suggested. For example you can get a 4 channel DVR card for a PC on ebay for less than

• 1 month later...
I'm about to install a cctv system at home and I'm thinking about utilising pc as a recordable hard drive, 2 or 3 cameras maybe a zoom if poss, any suggestions

cheers

dc

Can i just ask. If i wanted to buy one outside ip camera that performed very well in day and night, which would be the best. That is the best but not necessarily the most expensive.

Can i just ask. If i wanted to buy one outside ip camera that performed very well in day and night, which would be the best. That is the best but not necessarily the most expensive.

Cyberdog

Why do you want an IP Camera? If it is just to use it on your PC you can get a PC card to input a standard (cheaper) camera into your PC.

cheers

Dave

Hi,

I want remote access.

I have a cheap webcam and I got remote access. Just need a PCI CCTV card, webserver software and www.dyndns.com.

Not saying you wouldn't be able to install a IP Camera. Just saying they are very expensive for a decent one and I am not sure where you can buy one DIY.

cheers

Dave

I have a cheap webcam and I got remote access. Just need a PCI CCTV card, webserver software and www.dyndns.com.

Not saying you wouldn't be able to install a IP Camera. Just saying they are very expensive for a decent one and I am not sure where you can buy one DIY.

cheers

Dave

Well, i have a Hauppauge PCI tv card and at the moment i am using Active WebCam software with the IP camera that i have. I also have a Creative Live Motion webcam. So with all this i should be able to setup remote viewing??

Well, i have a Hauppauge PCI tv card and at the moment i am using Active WebCam software with the IP camera that i have. I also have a Creative Live Motion webcam. So with all this i should be able to setup remote viewing??

Yep.

Dave

Archived