Security Installer Community

Bt Inspiration Pbx

Guest Roger

HELP! I'm a new member in need of advice.

I attempted to fit a telephone interface intercom system to a customers house to work on his gate, to find that I could not get it to work as an extension to the above PBX, as the old faulty BT intercom unit did (extension 23). I was told by the Videx that I would have to connect the two cables coming from the interface unit to the'trunk code 2' terminals in the PBX, instead of extension 23. Can anybody tell me which terminals these are?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am more into security, all this PBX stuff is lost on me!

It'll be the 2nd pair of terminals down from the top I think.

You may also need to do some reprogramming of the system to get it to ring where the customer wants it to and also check for voicemail activations.

This all assumes that the customer hasn't already maxed out his analogue line capacity on the system, in which case you will need to either fit a new card to the phone system or use a different door intercom.

Alternatively, get a telecoms engineer to sort it out for you as it could get messy if you don't know what you're doing.

HELP! I'm a new member in need of advice.

I attempted to fit a telephone interface intercom system to a customers house to work on his gate, to find that I could not get it to work as an extension to the above PBX, as the old faulty BT intercom unit did (extension 23). I was told by the Videx that I would have to connect the two cables coming from the interface unit to the'trunk code 2' terminals in the PBX, instead of extension 23. Can anybody tell me which terminals these are?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am more into security, all this PBX stuff is lost on me!

Firstly forget the Videx advice !

Secondly when you say you could not get it to work - what was the problem ?

Have you tested the doorphone port (use a standard phone, go off-hook - ensure it rings the programmed group of phones automatically etc) ?

You need to connect the Door Intercom unit to the IDC connectors A & B for Extn 23 as this is the only extension port that can be programmed for Door Phone usage.

If you need to connect a door strike as well, the connectors for the BT Inspiration relay at are the bottom of the MDF.

The Doorphone and ring group etc all needs to be enabled in programming as well but I presume this has already been done as you are replacing a BT unit.

Also note that the BT Netlink 30 Door Intercom works well with the system in terms of disconnect times etc avoiding tone on disconnect etc - other models may not be so great unless they can have their disconnect settings changed.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Firstly forget the Videx advice !

Maybe not, some doorphones are just an SLT in a waterproof box, some of them are pseudo analogue trunks.

True Stuart - I have installed a few strange ones myself over the years.

But Videx advice was to connect to Trunk Code 2 terminals which does not exist on the BT Inspiration. If it is just an SLT in a waterproof box - you would still not connect it to a trunk port as you would be connecting a SLT which takes current IN to a Trunk Port which takes Current IN (i.e both FXS in the original terms). And if it was a line emulation device which provided current Out and could generate ringing - it could connect to any Trunk line port - not just Trunk Port 2. The system may even be ISDN as well remember in which case Trunk Port 2 will be disabled/out of service.

Secondly why take up a trunk port (max 8) when you can use an extn port (max 18).

Thirdly you only get the auto display and systemphone prompt of unlock door after the doorphone has been answered from alerting by Extn 23, you will not get it after ringing from a trunk port.

So it seems to me to be very poor advice on how to connect a doorphone to the PBX.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived