Security Installer Community

Texecom Battery Issue

Guest heliart

Guest heliart

Hi,

We had a powercut this morning, and I woke at 5:10am to the front bell box going off.

System is Texecom Premier.

Keypads were dead, so power and battery was completely flat.

Power was restored at 5:20, and having a look at my event log shows that there was a low battery alarm at 5:03am.

My question is, how long should I expect the back up battery to last? I guess even if power went off at midnight, I should expect it to run the system for at least 5 hrs.

I though I spec'ed the system well with two x 7AH batteries in parallel.

My normal system current is about 800mA, so I should at least expect 10hrs+ of standby?

BTW, this was a DIY install, and has been faultless for 6 months so far. This is the first power cut.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi,

We had a powercut this morning, and I woke at 5:10am to the front bell box going off.

System is Texecom Premier.

Keypads were dead, so power and battery was completely flat.

Power was restored at 5:20, and having a look at my event log shows that there was a low battery alarm at 5:03am.

My question is, how long should I expect the back up battery to last? I guess even if power went off at midnight, I should expect it to run the system for at least 5 hrs.

I though I spec'ed the system well with two x 7AH batteries in parallel.

My normal system current is about 800mA, so I should at least expect 10hrs+ of standby?

BTW, this was a DIY install, and has been faultless for 6 months so far. This is the first power cut.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0,8A sounds a bit large amount but anyway if you have 2x7Ah batteries in parallel you should have approx 17hrs of battery backup..

are you sure you had new batteries?

Guest heliart

Batteries were new 6 months ago.

I'll be taking them out and testing them at the weekend.

0.8A is correct, I've a large install.

0.8A is correct, I've a large install.

I assume your running everything off the endstation?

and the current in alarm is.........

Guest heliart

So, I just measured from the panel, current is 1.07A.

Alarm did not go off, just lost power, and the bell box sounded when the panel lost it's power after a low battery alarm.

So, in most cases, if mains power is lost, you would expect the panel to carry on regardless until it's battery voltage went too low, then the bell box would sound.

It would of been good to have an event log entry for the mains power loss, so at least I would know how long it manged to run, but the only enrty is for the low battery warning:(

I'm going to replace the two 7A units (Texecom branded), with a good Yusa 17A battery.

cheers.

I'm going to replace the two 7A units (Texecom branded), with a good Yusa 17A battery.

cheers.

sometimes DIYer really surprise me by their intelligence..

even so called professional installers mostly don't realise the difference between the battery and a battery.

I think from what you've said so far you need to look at your system again. I think you show a lack of understanding when it comes to current calculations and battery ratings.

Answer me these questions;

What current is your system able to supply for aux power?

What is the maximum battery size for your panel?

How many additional power supplies do you have?

What did you use to work out your battery size and aux power supply size when you originally designed the system?

Just throwing bateries in isn't going to fix anything. You can't just stick what you want where you want regardless of the laws of physics.

For safetys sake, you may be better getting someone to have a look at your system for you before you set fire to your house and\or kill yourself.

Bloody hell Lurch, keep your hair on.

He's right though because it's rather dangerous to just put in battery into a panel.

Like lurch said herliart you need to find out all the answers to questions he asked and then check to make sure the panel can actually handle that size of battery, that's not just does it fit in to the panel, it's can the charging circuit generate the required current to charge the battery / batteries you end up using, this maybe be the case currently the panel can't supply enough current to charge both batteries at once. Sometimes you need to take a step back and check everything, I have to do that myself sometimes when trying to solve a technical issue that's arisen on a system..

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived