Security Installer Community

Trace Ip Address

kka

sorry to be a little bit vague, and for my question to appear to be a little basic, but i am trying to gather information for a possible police investigation.

if i have the ip address of a computer is it possible to trace the computer back to source, other than just the host?(which i have traced back to bt) could i find out the telphone number of the computer being used?

if these questions need to be moved, please move them , if they are a no no then please delete and advise accordingly thanks.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

sorry to be a little bit vague, and for my question to appear to be a little basic, but i am trying to gather information for a possible police investigation.

if i have the ip address of a computer is it possible to trace the computer back to source, other than just the host?(which i have traced back to bt) could i find out the telphone number of the computer being used?

if these questions need to be moved, please move them , if they are a no no then please delete and advise accordingly thanks.

if you have traced it back to bt then there is nothing more you can do (i guess). it is only police who can ask for who had that dialup connection then and then and it is only up to bt log's if it is traceable.

and i guess that you don't possibly want to talk about this in public...

maybe ask mod's to move this to trade section...????

:question:

This information is available to the ISP, however they won't release it without court orders and so on.

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

If that really is the case then don't do anything yourself, ask the Police to do it.

You will need properly trained forensic IT experts to extract the relevant data. If you don't it will be challenged and destroyed in court by the other sides legal experts. :'(

thanks lads for all the very sound advice, i have handed it over to the local police with all the information which i have gathered. hopefully it can be sorted. i have also contacted the isp who have agreed to assist the police as much as they can.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Archived