Security Installer Community

Are My Old Magnetic Contacts Still Of Use?

Guest KenW

Guest KenW

I am installing a Texecom Veritas system which shows a diagram of a door magnetic contact which appears to have five contacts. Red and black wires are connected to separate contacts, while yellow and blue wires are connected to the same contact. In the control panel, red and black go to the appropriate zone while yellow and blue (I think) have to be wired in series as part of a global system tamper. I'm a bit vague about this as I'm still reading the manual and trying to get to grips with the finer points.

However, my problem is that my current magnetic contacts only appear to have two terminals inside to which the blue and yellow wires are attached. Can anyone tell me whether I can still use these contacts, and if so, how I wire them up to the Texecom control panel?

For those of you who want a laugh, my old system was a B&Q AJ 600 / Omnicron 7000 system which I am replacing with Texecom products.

(KenW) for the cost incurred replacing the old switches,this would be the best option. new switches may well have 5 screws in, two are connected to the magnetically operated reed switch (normally a different colour) and these are connected to the 'zone terminals' back at the control panel (zone 1 for the entry and exit route). if you twist two other wires together and connect them to one, of the other screws. This will allow you to make a tamper loop( RECOMMENDED) also taken back to the control panel and wired in series with other tamper circuit, to form a global tamper circuit. Which is then connected to the tamp terminals on the panel.

BEWARE OR MAINS ELECTRICITY.

too slow at typing i am.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest KenW
(KenW) for the cost incurred replacing the old switches,this would be the best option. new switches may well have 5 screws in, two are connected to the magnetically operated reed switch (normally a different colour) and these are connected to the 'zone terminals' back at the control panel (zone 1 for the entry and exit route). if you twist two other wires together and connect them to one, of the other screws. This will allow you to make a tamper loop( RECOMMENDED) also taken back to the control panel and wired in series with other tamper circuit, to form a global tamper circuit. Which is then connected to the tamp terminals on the panel.

BEWARE OR MAINS ELECTRICITY.

too slow at typing i am.

Thank you for your quick responses. I'm off to buy some new contacts. Thanks also to ian.cant and rjbsec for their contributions. By the way, rjbsec, it was me who installed the original system about ten years ago. It wasn't that I didn't believe in a tamper system...I just followed the instructions at the time.

• 2 months later...
Guest Simon287

I would recommend new contacts. Contacts are so cheap and don't last forever so you might as well take the oppertunity to get rid of the orginals.

Archived