Security Installer Community

Notify Via Tcp-ip?

Guest timomer

Guest ALSEC
Hi georgahti,

I am looking at using nagios as well :-)

Yes, i was reading some documents that say on some alarm panels notifications are sent by an RS232 adapter on the panel - so all you have to do is connect a device to the RS232 adapter to pickup events.

So, if i buy a product like this http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?...products_id=102 and wire it into the RS232 adapter on the alarm all i have to do is try and work out what RS232 signals mean what.

Also take a look under "Application Notes and Source Code" at "An SNMP Agent for the Microchip TCP/IP Stack", could be what you are looking for georgahti.

Am i crazy? Or could the above work? :-)

-Tim

You're certainly not looking for an easy life are you?

What are you actually trying to achieve with all this - what do you want the alarm to do and why?

Hi georgahti,

Yes, i was reading some documents that say on some alarm panels notifications are sent by an RS232 adapter on the panel - so all you have to do is connect a device to the RS232 adapter to pickup events.

So, if i buy a product like this http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?...products_id=102 and wire it into the RS232 adapter on the alarm all i have to do is try and work out what RS232 signals mean what.

Also take a look under "Application Notes and Source Code" at "An SNMP Agent for the Microchip TCP/IP Stack", could be what you are looking for georgahti.

-Tim

You answered it yorself, yep crazy.

Why do you want to mess about with a third party TCP/IP interface ehen most control panel manufactores make them to fit on their own panel and support them with instructions on the use of their product, and not messing about with RS232 leads and connections.

Just buy a control panel which takes a TCP/IP card.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

You answered it yorself, yep crazy.

Why do you want to mess about with a third party TCP/IP interface ehen most control panel manufactores make them to fit on their own panel and support them with instructions on the use of their product, and not messing about with RS232 leads and connections.

Just buy a control panel which takes a TCP/IP card.

problem is that with many panels only up/download is possible with a special software. not all send alarms via ip and even in case thwy would there is no ARC that would like to invest in a special receiver..

for me it makes sense to capture log file sent by panel via RS232 and process it with another software which is capable of sending SMS, email and create an issue to issue tracker.

or the way it was described in the link before but with exception that we would use open source software..

Hi georgahti,

boy - you have some sense after all :roflmao:

:yes:

usually it is pure ASCII in english what you need to capture. usually RS232 is meant to be connected to a serial printer..

since it is used for printing purposes RS-232 connection on the panel can rarely be used for bi-directional traffic ie. controlling the panel. some panel can be controlled through RS232 but in that case again you need manufacturer spesific software *this part deleted due to confidential information*..

-Tim

since RS232 is usually functioning as output method only i can't see how snmp could be used for controlling the panel. since nagios is using snmp anyway there could be some idea that it would use that for receiving events but i see it would just cause end unit pricing be uneffective, so i will propably just transfer event log as plain ascii and process it at the nagios server itself.

Guest timomer

Hi,

ALSEC - as I said in my first post I just want to monitor the alarm, so when an event happens my computer can be notified, then I can send an email, SMS and do whatever I like. Maybe not easy, but very cool! :-)

Nova-Security - if I can buy a product that supports this, please tell me!! :-) But can I get the data from it? There is no point if only the manufacture can and a 3rd party call centre can.

georgahti - I don

What type of alarm feature should I ask for that will allow me to attach the "RS232 to Ethernet" device?

Many thanks to everyone for helping me with this.

-Tim

just ask for a panel that would allow serial printing capabilities.

and after you have functionality with nagios give me a pm..

• 4 weeks later...

timomer: You were close with my Alarm Panel Adapter product from www.youralarm.com, however, the product you really need is our DigiNet.

It will connect to the digicom output of any alarm panel and transmit a signal via TCPIP to our server software. Here's the best bit - the software is provided FOC !

The technical documentation is available for download from the web site, but email me if you require any further assistance.

Steve.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

The original poster wants to be able to receive alarm signals on the PC in his loft. All manufacturers of IP communicators have designed them to only communicate with their own receiver products - which cost thousands.

Although originally designed for communicating with the Virtual Monitoring automated monitoring system, the DigiNet product will send signals to a web server - anywhere.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Guest timomer

Hi Virtual Monitoring,

Your DigiNet product does look interesting, but, can i get it to contact my own web server?

Thanks,

Tim

Archived