Security Installer Community

Alarm Going Off When Not Set.

Guest mercman

Guest mercman

My alarm has started to go off about every 20 mins for no reason when its not set. If I don't reset it, it stays quite, but its only the inside bell that sounds. The outside bell stays silent, but will go off if I set the system and walk in. Could it be the batery? as its getting on a bit.

Sounds like an intermittent tamper fault. Start by checking the all your detectors/keypad/panel lid are secure. If so, it could be a damaged cable. If you can't find anything obvious you really need an engineer to find the fault.

How old is the battery? When was it last serviced?

Batteries should be replaced every 5 years at least and your alarm should be serviced every year, if audible only.

If you don't know......ask.

Guest mercman

Batery is about ten years old :fear: , and its never been serviced apart from setting it and walking in. I know it should be serviced, but I have saved ten years of service cost, what ever that maybe?.

Batery is about ten years old :fear: , and its never been serviced apart from setting it and walking in. I know it should be serviced, but I have saved ten years of service cost, what ever that maybe?.

It may have cost you a new alarm if the battery is faulty and has damaged the charging circuit. It may also have cost you all your wordly goods, if the detectors don't work properly or it's programmed incorrectly. Or you may have been lucky and saved around

If you don't know......ask.

Guest mercman

Haven't been for a battery yet as my son was sick all night. But I reset it this morning, then turned the mains off. The alarm was still working with the mains off, so it must have some power in it. Then I turned the mains back on and the alarm seems to be O.K. Its been 5 hours with no false alarm yet.

Haven't been for a battery yet as my son was sick all night. But I reset it this morning, then turned the mains off. The alarm was still working with the mains off, so it must have some power in it. Then I turned the mains back on and the alarm seems to be O.K. Its been 5 hours with no false alarm yet.

Yeah. Don't take this the wrong way, but you have been given the advice of replacing your ten-year old battery. I don't think that there is a single member of this forum who will disagree with this advice.

I don't think that replacing the battery will solve your tamper problem (but it might). The battery should be changed anyway as an old battery can cause all manner of faults.

D7

Guest mercman
Yeah. Don't take this the wrong way, but you have been given the advice of replacing your ten-year old battery. I don't think that there is a single member of this forum who will disagree with this advice.

I don't think that replacing the battery will solve your tamper problem (but it might). The battery should be changed anyway as an old battery can cause all manner of faults.

D7

Thanks for the reply D7

Yes I will change it this week, but you must agree my son "age 5" comes first.

Archived