Security Installer Community

Panel Jiggered By Pir?

Guest dave55

Guest dave55

Over the years I have had to replace various components to my domestic wired alarm system e.g. panel, PIR, bellbox. I recently chose to replace a door contact with a Pyronix ME 12 PIR but my panel (Advantage zx6) would not reset. Since then things have gone from bad to worse and nothing is making sense so I am replacing the panel. I wish to know if it is likely that the PIR may have damaged the panel - should all components ideally be the same make? At present I have Pyronix ME12 PIR's (or hope to have them), Omnicron PIR's, A1 PIR's, Pyronix bellbox.

I do not wish to try to repair my present panel but wish to know if these new Pyronix PIR's may damage what ever new panel I buy.

Further to this, I only ever set the alarm in full mode or part mode (which excludes the hall). i do not intend to extend the system in the future so is there any reason why I cannot put one or more PIR's (wired in series) onto one zone?

Thank you

Dave

Over the years I have had to replace various components to my domestic wired alarm system e.g. panel, PIR, bellbox. I recently chose to replace a door contact with a Pyronix ME 12 PIR but my panel (Advantage zx6) would not reset. Since then things have gone from bad to worse and nothing is making sense so I am replacing the panel. I wish to know if it is likely that the PIR may have damaged the panel - should all components ideally be the same make? At present I have Pyronix ME12 PIR's (or hope to have them), Omnicron PIR's, A1 PIR's, Pyronix bellbox.

I do not wish to try to repair my present panel but wish to know if these new Pyronix PIR's may damage what ever new panel I buy.

Further to this, I only ever set the alarm in full mode or part mode (which excludes the hall). i do not intend to extend the system in the future so is there any reason why I cannot put one or more PIR's (wired in series) onto one zone?

Thank you

Dave

It's possible that in connecting the new PIR that you accidentally shorted the 12v supply and blew a fuse in the panel. Other than that, there is no reason why the PIR would damage the panel, unless it is a faulty unit (check the current draw of the device, and check for a very high or infinite resistance across the + and - terminals)

You can mix and match makes and manufacturers, infact, it's usually preferable (in a professional setting) to do so to get the best results. You personally probably have no idea who makes the **** and who makes the quality gear, so maybe it's best to stick to one manufacturer.

It's bad practice to connect more than one powered device per zone. It's just easier and better to follow the one detector per zone rule.

Please do us all a favour in commiting that A1 panel to the bin!

Trade Member

When you swapped the door contact for the PIR, did you adjust the wiring at the panel end. A door contact has no connections to Aux power where as a PIR needs this connection. If the PIR has no connection to the AUX power then it will always act as though its an open circuit, thus the panel wont set.

Trade Member

When you swapped the door contact for the PIR, did you adjust the wiring at the panel end. A door contact has no connections to Aux power where as a PIR needs this connection.

My first thoughts too, a PIR with no power will be permanently in alarm.

Did you walk test the PIR when you fitted it, does the LED come one when it's detecting movement?

I think blindly replacing bits of alarm is false economy. By the time you pay for bits you don't need and bits that break due to lack of service it's usually more cost effective to have the system professionally installed\serviced from the outset. Nothing personal, just a general observation.

Archived