Security Installer Community

Door Contact With Wide Operating Distance?

Guest damian_taylor

Guest damian_taylor

Hi.

I have a surface mounted reed switch on my uPVC door but because the operating distance of the switch is 14mm max I have to have the magnet half of the switch sat on top of the door (the switch half is buried nicely in a groove in the frame).

I would like to bury the magnet half in a similar groove on the door but would need a switch with a wide operating distance.

Does anyone know if there is such a switch available and where I can get one from?

Thanks a lot,

Damian

It sounds like you require a heavy duty surface contact, though they are pretty cumbersome (they are about the same size as a 6 way junction box) so it might not fit on your door! The ones I've used are made by a company called Maximal, and to be honest, I've never seen them for sale except in proper intruder alarm wholesalers so you may have a problem obtaining a pair. If you do manage to get one, you could probably get away with just replacing the magent, which is twice the size of the one in a regular surface contact. They have an operating gap of 25mm.

Edit: Maplin have some here but I can't vouch for the quality.

Trade Member

I have some small neodymium (sp) magnet's I use in cases like this. about 5mm dia. x 8mm in length and slip nicely into a 4.5mm hole. I got them from e-bay about 50p each and have got me out of some holes with existing internal doors where the door has become warped and the old magnet wont pull.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived