Security Installer Community

Remote Camera Controlling

Gopher

Okay here is a question for you all:

What you think of the remote control software that comes with many DVR system, either on CD or available after logging into the DVR remotely or using a web based system like they have on the DM systems, Im after some info I've set a few of them up and well the control to the remote site is sometimes a joke, so what does everyone use and why or don't ya bother with the remote control stuff, as well the customer is always gonna be "On-Site" and be a "Local" user so to speak. Also what features have you seen that are available to the local user that aren't available remotely that would be useful (or is it just me that's managed to find really US software or just have a carp-esque connection)

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Okay here is a question for you all:

What you think of the remote control software that comes with many DVR system, either on CD or available after logging into the DVR remotely or using a web based system like they have on the DM systems, Im after some info I've set a few of them up and well the control to the remote site is sometimes a joke, so what does everyone use and why or don't ya bother with the remote control stuff, as well the customer is always gonna be "On-Site" and be a "Local" user so to speak. Also what features have you seen that are available to the local user that aren't available remotely that would be useful (or is it just me that's managed to find really US software or just have a carp-esque connection)

Why is some of the control software a joke? what is it not doing? are you using LAN/WAN/BROADBAND/theres a lot of perfectly good control/dial up software out there now so Idont understand why you appear to be having problems!!!!!!

Paul.

Why is some of the control software a joke? what is it not doing? are you using LAN/WAN/BROADBAND/theres a lot of perfectly good control/dial up software out there now so Idont understand why you appear to be having problems!!!!!!

Paul.

Yeah some of the software I use is a JOKE (naming no one company here), what it don't do well let me see, I should be able to replicate all of the local functions remotely or at least more than basic movement, it's across broadband and thus will always be a joke since very few providers supply SDSL lines.

I've got other cameras that come over WAN Kilostream lines but it's all hardware driven no computer required.

It's basically a Frame rate vs Quality problem - it's getting the settings just right so I can see what's going on and im seeing a image that's no older than say 3 seconds that's good enough to view.

Im just really trying to gauge what software people out there use with what DVR and how many features are replicated on the "remote" side of things and how fast a PC should the software be running on.

Hi Gopher,

Done a lot of remote controlling, some successful, some unimpressive, what exactly is it that you want to implement?

cheers.

I'm not convinced this guy is really that bothered otherwise we would be getting more come back guys I think best to put this in the trash bin!!!

Guest sparkyglimmy

i always use dm for remote viewing the kit is pricy but it performs tried a few other models but they just dont compare all depends on the client and the budget.........they want a rolls royce for mini money!

i always use dm for remote viewing the kit is pricy but it performs tried a few other models but they just dont compare all depends on the client and the budget.........they want a rolls royce for mini money!

Always do mate unless you deal with public money!.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry not replied in a while, been kept busy doing other things, DM sprite 2 works nice. I think it's just the computer Im running the software on, it's not the fastest of machines any more, it's running XP and it's a laptop with <512Mb in it, enough said, also the view software isn't as nice as the DM stuff, can't really do much, all i will say is this to any remote software I've used over the internet..

move, wait.................................... see movement, you guys get the picture now.. Im just wondering if there is a way to make it faster at updating the frame rate without losing too much of the image quality / having to go to single screen mode rather than quad view.

I've used the Adpro FastVu system that's what it does automatically, switches to a low quality / high framerate mode at low res to allow you to see movement but it means you can't really pic something out and if there is lag, your passed something before you can see it, another annoyance about using the PSTN system, but who wants to pay for dedicated lines for purely video data for a few cameras, well anyone know the answer? I doubt anyone would.

Sorry not replied in a while, been kept busy doing other things, DM sprite 2 works nice. I think it's just the computer Im running the software on, it's not the fastest of machines any more, it's running XP and it's a laptop with <512Mb in it, enough said, also the view software isn't as nice as the DM stuff, can't really do much, all i will say is this to any remote software I've used over the internet..

move, wait.................................... see movement, you guys get the picture now.. Im just wondering if there is a way to make it faster at updating the frame rate without losing too much of the image quality / having to go to single screen mode rather than quad view.

I've used the Adpro FastVu system that's what it does automatically, switches to a low quality / high framerate mode at low res to allow you to see movement but it means you can't really pic something out and if there is lag, your passed something before you can see it, another annoyance about using the PSTN system, but who wants to pay for dedicated lines for purely video data for a few cameras, well anyone know the answer? I doubt anyone would.

PSTN and gsm is slow it is only for cheap video varification on a budget you at least have to have broad band to get reasonable speeds are you saying your speeds are slow with broad band because i'm surprised if they are?? Paul.

Archived