Security Installer Community

Gardtec 800 Triggered By Power Cut

Guest dan_singh

Guest dan_singh

Hello all,

We have a Gardtec 800 which was already fitted whan we moved to this house and it has worked impeccably until last week whan we had a power cut. The main siren outside went off (but not the internal one) and the keypad was completely dead which meant I could not turn the damn thing off.

Fortunately the mains was restored after about 20 mins and silence was restored.

I have reset the date and gone through the alarm checks in the manual and all seems fine.

Have any of you come across this before? Also, I may change the battery as a matter of course - is this a straight DIY job of simply disconnecting the old one & replacing it?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Dan.

Hello all,

We have a Gardtec 800 which was already fitted whan we moved to this house and it has worked impeccably until last week whan we had a power cut. The main siren outside went off (but not the internal one) and the keypad was completely dead which meant I could not turn the damn thing off.

Fortunately the mains was restored after about 20 mins and silence was restored.

I have reset the date and gone through the alarm checks in the manual and all seems fine.

Have any of you come across this before? Also, I may change the battery as a matter of course - is this a straight DIY job of simply disconnecting the old one & replacing it?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

The reason your alarm was triggered during the power cut was due to the control panel battery being dead or faulty. Normally, this battery should keep the system running quietly and as before the power cut for a minimum of 8 hours (now 12 hours). The external sounder contains its own battery, so as the control panel battery was unable support the system, it souynded under its own power.

Changing the battery should get your system back to normal, but it is strongly recommended that an experienced proffessional services your system to check for any problems the duff battery may have caused. The Gardtec system is a very good one, so it's worth spending a bit of money on making sure it's OK. Post your details, and I'm sure an installer here can have a look at it for you.

Trade Member

Guest dan_singh

My immediate thought was that the battery had packed up but when I looked in the user guide it suggests I would get a warning of failure on the LCD display. But the display is all clear.....

My immediate thought was that the battery had packed up but when I looked in the user guide it suggests I would get a warning of failure on the LCD display. But the display is all clear.....

It's your battery mate. Follow antinode's advice.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

the battery will only be 'flagged' when it gets well below 'parr'. the panel self checks every 120 mins while its unset. if it the battery fails you will see an indication 'check fuse/batt' but if you ignore it you can usually still set with this condition, but it take 2 attempts in order to draw your attention to the indicated fault.

when you try to set what is the display indicating? this is the bigest clue to what ever is the existing problem.

if all zones are clear you will get a single contiuous tone, a pulsed tone is indicating a zone in alarm or fault. this may be normal if panel an keypad are say in a cupboard with a door contact fitted.

replacing the battery is a straight forward proceedure, with the greatest respect, no forum member is ever going to condon a DIY person openning the control panel. apart from the possibility youm may dislodge a vital wire, it can exposes the unwary to potentially lethal mains voltages, or injury from a falling battery - if you insist on ignoring the advice to get a profesional in the at least follow common sense basic safety rules, and remove the mains voltage before tampering or removing any lids. be neighbour freindly and only try remedial works at a conciderate time of day - not after everones gone to bed :rolleyes: .

regs

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest dan_singh

New battery fitted and all working fine now when power is cut. However, going through the test procedure I notice that the strobe is not working when using option 4 off the test menu. I shall be looking to change the battery in the external siren in due course so I'll check it then.

Thanks to you for your advice ! :rolleyes:

New battery fitted and all working fine now when power is cut. However, going through the test procedure I notice that the strobe is not working when using option 4 off the test menu. I shall be looking to change the battery in the external siren in due course so I'll check it then.

Thanks to you for your advice ! :rolleyes:

The strobe may never have been connected, or, it may only flash when the siren is actually going off if it has been wired on a 4-core (i.e. the strobe is powered by the siren when active and not controlled by the panel).

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

The strobe may never have been connected, or, it may only flash when the siren is actually going off if it has been wired on a 4-core (i.e. the strobe is powered by the siren when active and not controlled by the panel).

hi Zak,

i'm not totaly sure on this, but seem to remmber there was an 'instruction' that the strobe no longer operated independently and is to be wired to action with the bell. the reason i understood for this i will not go into, as its in a public forum.

am i wrong or out of date on this item due to later panels like. gardtec (so i assume others) have an independent strobe duratiion setting, which would remove the 'logic' for the strobe to run and stop with the bell.

regs

arfur_mo

hi Zak,

i'm not totaly sure on this, but seem to remmber there was an 'instruction' that the strobe no longer operated independently and is to be wired to action with the bell. the reason i understood for this i will not go into, as its in a public forum.

am i wrong or out of date on this item due to later panels like. gardtec (so i assume others) have an independent strobe duratiion setting, which would remove the 'logic' for the strobe to run and stop with the bell.

regs

arfur_mo

There is a dedicated strobe output on all GardTec panels. SAB's require 6-core to the panel but as above, if you only have 4 cores then you can wire as mentioned. You can have the strobe programmed for "confirmed only" for example - but I am sure you know all this. I don't know what instruction you would be referring to. I am not that old :P:)

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

There is a dedicated strobe output on all GardTec panels. SAB's require 6-core to the panel but as above, if you only have 4 cores then you can wire as mentioned. You can have the strobe programmed for "confirmed only" for example - but I am sure you know all this. I don't know what instruction you would be referring to. I am not that old :P:)

:hmm: i'm beginning to think no ones as old as me :cry:

thanks for comming back, i'll pmU for safety sakes

regs

arfur_m0

Archived