Security Installer Community

Omnicron 7000 Panel Error

Guest rruwalton

Guest rruwalton

I have had the above alarm for years and it has served me well.

However, I reset the alarm when coming downstairs this morning and initially all the panel lights come on, and then the 24hrs and PA lights stay on. The alarm does not sound.

Once I reset the panel via the mains (still trying to find a new battery for the panel) the unit is fine. This has happened twice over the last week.

I would be most grateful for any help in this matter.

Regards

Richard

Guest rruwalton

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I installed the system myself after buying it from B&Q for about £100 or so. It must be 7-8 years old.

So, do I now need to work out whether to install a new system? Will the panel eventually crack up for good?

Our house is a modern one - so is small. I have a sensor on the front door, pir in the hall, pir in the lounge and a sensor on the patio door. All I need is something to cover these areas - That's to say something as reliable as my Omnicron used to be, and inexpensive.

All help and advise is appreciated.

Regards

Richard

Nooooooo...... not B&Q DIY systems........ they are very bad!

Go to City Electric and get a replacement panel, or get a local engineer to come and give you a quote.

If you want the system to be insurance approved, and feel safe that it will actually work, it a good idea to get an approved installer.... it might cost a little, but its well worth the peace and mind.

If you still insist on doing it yourself, go get a Texecom VR8, or 8-compact. Personally I think they are extremely reliable systems, and the installation instructions are excellent.

D

Guest oldtimer

It depends if your panel is in a cupboard as things have moved on.

For a few pounds more you can get a panel with a detached keypad or a conventional onboard keypad. I would class this job as a front end changeout.

The advise is if you got several years out of your system then change the it. The only problem is do you know how to do it.

If you are unsure then there is no harm in obtaining quotes (not estimates) to get it changed out.

Also the initial problem you have had with the Omnicron is that this panel is vunrable to voltage fluctaition in the mains supply and usally always cause problems in the early hours of the morning due to there being less load on the grid. The panel goes into full alarm and then locks out the keypad.

My advise to you about which panel to buy is a sore one on this forum as everybody has differant opinions.

I will stick my neck out here and say to you get an Accenta or Optima for ease of use. You could go for a more proffesional unit but me thinks (no offence) but you could get yourself in a hole and if you try and get someone out to sort it then you may get more bother as I personally shy away from these jobs due to the customer taking a last man frees all attitude if the unit developes a fault during its warranty.

Old Timer is right, a simple straight forward panel to replace the omicron with would be the Accenta/Optima G3. You should be able to swap it without to many problems, providing your happy to work with the mains and wiring. A new Bell box should also be considered as the battery may be duff also.

But as Dale said it would be worth getting some quotes for a new system, especially as many insurance companies trying to reduce there liabillities and insisting that you have a professionally fitted alarm system. Now may be the time to look at doing it, rather than having to do it twice.

Get three quotes from local companies.

Colin.

Guest rruwalton

Many thanks for the feedback, which was excellent.

I would say that the unit has been worth the money I paid but it probably does need replacing.

The job to replace the system is not big and I could probably use the existing wiring.

My problem/conern is where to get stuff from. If I use CEF, then can I buy as a non trade and will they rip me off as joe public. How much am I looking at for a replacement panel please.

I considered buying a wireless system for ease of installation.

Less not start a wireless system debate!!!

Some people like them, but the general consensus (I think) is that hardwired is better (and cheaper, and easier to maintain).

CEF have trade counters... this doesnt mean you have to be trade, they will still deal with Joe Public.

As for price, I think CEF are your best bet, you will pay a reasonable price for the control panel - ie about £50 - £65. Unfortunately you will not get it as cheap as what the trade people get it as (but this is normal), thankfully CEF arnt as expensive as B&Q.

Dale

Archived