Security Installer Community

Booting Xp With Cd

Monteey

my frrrend digged this oot:

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:

1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.

3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.

4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):

cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.

6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers

Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.

7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.

8. Restart the computer.

i would say it is worth of trying..

The Dell CD Will call for the Original OS CD, the dell disk is a pre build disk which copies over drivers for your machine and stores them in a temp folder, then calls for the OS cd and collaberates all the info to make a full Dell build.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

The Dell CD Will call for the Original OS CD, the dell disk is a pre build disk which copies over drivers for your machine and stores them in a temp folder, then calls for the OS cd and collaberates all the info to make a full Dell build.

Not sure about that. I looked at my Dell system CD and it's got files and directories as described by Georgahti. ;)

There is also a hidden partition on the hard disk (or should be) that can be used to rebuild the system to as it left the factory, losing all your data of course. Only for the desperate, or those who choose to call Dell and do what they advise! :ranting:

Well it it is on corporate systems offered by dell as thats what we install, this helps dell, as they only create 1 CD for all machines, it may be different for home user stuff, but on all the dell machines weve done the dell systems cd calls an original os, it different for home users, they get a green or blue dell recovery cd which does contain their build of winxp.

Well it it is on corporate systems offered by dell as thats what we install, this helps dell, as they only create 1 CD for all machines, it may be different for home user stuff, but on all the dell machines weve done the dell systems cd calls an original os, it different for home users, they get a green dell cd which does contain their build of winxp.

Yep, it can be very different in the corporate world, especially if you have a Select or Enterprise agreement with Microsoft when there are all sorts of options about how you build systems that the average home or SME user couldn't even dream of. :'(

You then get into the delicate issue of re-imaging and OEM vs corporate versions of OS software, a legal and technical minefield that I know far too much about (and want to forget?) :banned:

It would help to know what category this sytem falls into though.............. :ninja:

...home users, they get a green dell cd which does contain their build of winxp.

Mine's a nice dark burgundy (Win XP, SP1), Can't recall what newer ones are like. :no:

In fact the most recent Dell PC I set up didn't come with an OS CD at all! :ranting:

But there was a mechanism to create one, so I did that of course. :yes:

You must have been replying as i changed it, theres are purpleish and blue cds as well, its weird that i should see this thread now, as im actually on a customers site rebuilding a power edge server.

Making your own recovery CDs is a sore point, becuase you have actually purchased the software so why not have the cd, well if its OEM, in the oem specifics you dont actually have to be given a cd, unlike retails boxed versions. And with OEM if the computer is thrown away the license has to go with it. But thats why its cheaper.... Damn MS

Making your own recovery CDs is a sore point, becuase you have actually purchased the software so why not have the cd, well if its OEM, in the oem specifics you dont actually have to be given a cd, unlike retails boxed versions. And with OEM if the computer is thrown away the license has to go with it. But thats why its cheaper.... Damn MS

I guess it saves Dell a tiny amount of money on the manufacturing cost.

BUT it reduces the risk of low-level piracy as home/SME users no longer have CD's to "lend to their mates" so I guess this is more driven by Microsoft. B)

I guess it saves Dell a tiny amount of money on the manufacturing cost.

BUT it reduces the risk of low-level piracy as home/SME users no longer have CD's to "lend to their mates" so I guess this is more driven by Microsoft. B)

QFA, but the problem is, and weve ran into this many times, people make there recovery CD, then you dont try these out, why would you as your machines running fine, then the user calls us and says the machines fooked and the Recovery cds they made are corrupted. Then its a call to Dell messing about getting idsks posted etc.... I reckon its terrible, youve paid for the software you should get it on CD. Its like buying a set of encylopedias and being told at the shop to read them all before leaving as you wont be able to keep the actual books....

Ah well, things to cut costs and corners.... BAH

Anyone got any ideas?

ps Its not a laptop and the dell XP cd is green with 'This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers' printed on it

Buy another larger hard disk, you'll soon need a larger one anyway and they're pretty cheap. Install it as master with the old one as slave. Install XP from scratch on the new disk.

I think I said that before, but it's the safest way to go and you can then hunt for your old data.

Archived