Security Installer Community

Accenta 6

Guest musicmalc1

Guest musicmalc1

I have an Accenta 6 alarm system installed. It has worked perfectly since I bought it with the house 3 years ago. I recently had to switch off the mains power and this triggered the alarm, despite it being off at the time.

Although I was able to enter the code to switch it off, I'm sure it shouldn't do this. (I am certainly worried about power cuts occuring whilst I am out)

The red power LED is on at the keypad but not on the main box. There is obviously a fault and from what I have read elsewhere, this may be the backup battery. Can anyone confirm this as a possible diagnosis. Or enlighten me as to other possible causes. From what I gather reading on other strands, it may be worth changing the whole system. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Malcolm

Guest musicmalc1

'rjbsec'

Many thanks for your advice. It was a few days ago that I cut the mains switch whilst installing a new light fitting. So it sounds like it may be the backup battery. Thanks for your cautionary note. I have already had the panel off once to disconnect the panic buttons. (Curious children always pressing them!) Will the battery be marked with ratings etc. i will try and get one from Maplins tomorrow.

Malcolm

Guest musicmalc1

Many thanks for the battery info. I will take your advice and get it serviced next school half term. Unfortunately, being a teacher, we have to cram all our service callers into school holidays. Hence having to fix lots of things myself. (I'm a pretty good car mechanic after 30 years of repairing them!)

Regards

Malcolm

Guest Alarm Guard
The battery will be 12-volt and may be marked as 2.1amp, 2.8 amp or similar - don't fit less than 2.1 amp as a replacement even if the one you take out is of a lesser capacity.

I echo Peter's advice also - good to get it serviced by a qualified engineer, it will save you money in the long term and also give you peace of mind.

and if you use an SSAIB or NSI alarm Co. you will probably get an insurance discount which will go a long way to paying the cost of the servicing

Guest musicmalc1

I have a new battery for my Accenta6 and am about to change it. I have removed the front panel and disabled the panic alarm but am unable to disconnect the power supply without setting off the alarm. Any ideas as to what I can do.

Malcolm

Guest Alarm Guard
I have a new battery for my Accenta6 and am about to change it. I have removed the front panel and disabled the panic alarm but am unable to disconnect the power supply without setting off the alarm. Any ideas as to what I can do.

Malcolm

Unfortunately, it is not possible to remove power from your alarm without the external unit sounding. To replace the battery you should disconnect mains power, open the panel, fit the new battery, close the panel & restore power. You will then need to enter your code number and reset the alarm.

Because your alarm has been through an unstable condition and we don't know what buttons or sequence of buttons you may have pressed, it may be necessary to re-programme the alarm. Even if it apopears to be working correctly, it may not be.

I would still advise you to ask a local alarm Co. to check it over and go through the programming.

Paul

Guest musicmalc1

Many thanks Paul. I will get it serviced at the earliest opportunity. I just need to get it into a state when it will not go off if there is a power failure. Providing the batterery charges ok, will it then, in theory not trip the alarm during a power failure.

Malcolm

Guest Alarm Guard

The battery should have been charged when you bought it, so once it is fitted you should be able to remove power with no problem.

Guest musicmalc1

Dear Paul

Many thanks for your advice. I have replaced the battery, silent power off has been restored and the power light is now on on the control unit. I have reprogrammed and tested all the sensors and measured the charge rate on the battery terminals. It all seems to be working perfectly, however I will get it fully tested ASAP. The old battery was completely dead with no reading on the meter and a last service date of 1993 on it! Not surprising it had finally failed.

Best regards

Malcolm

Archived