Security Installer Community

Another Paragon Plus Problem - Tamper Alarm Going Off

Guest paragonproblem

Guest paragonproblem

Hello,

I have a Paragon Plus panel, installed 11 years ago. I've mislaid the user manual - (3 sheets of A4 stapled, is easy to lose..). Also lost the name and number of the installer..

The problem is that the tamper alarm is going off, as soon as I set the alarm, either in zone mode, or full mode. It has been doing this randomly for the last 6 months or so, but putting in the code has cleared it previously. I am now at the point where I can't set the alarm at all.

Can anyone advise where I can get the user manual from (I've had a look through the posts, and the link to the pdf doesn't seem to work), and haven't been able to find the pyronics (x?) website.

Also, can anyone advise how to trace what is kicking off the tamper sensor. None of the PIR's are staying on, which used to be an indication of a zone alarm activation.

The LED number on the panel is out completely, if that indicates anything?

As a side issue, I have previously scrolled through the stored list of (false) alarm activations (but can't remember how to do it without the manual), but the memory was full, and if I remember rightly, it said that this could only be cleared with the engineers code (which, guess what, I don't have either - always meant to ring the installer to ask, but never got around to it). Is there anyway to clear this without the code?

I would be grateful for any help. In return, if anyone has an IT problem, I may be able to help ..

Sounds like you have an external sounder tamper fault, although it could be panel tamper.

Someone on here who knows paragon might be able to help further, but until the fault is cleared your alarm wont set.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest rjbsec
Hello,

I have a Paragon Plus panel, installed 11 years ago. I've mislaid the user manual - (3 sheets of A4 stapled, is easy to lose..). Also lost the name and number of the installer..

The problem is that the tamper alarm is going off, as soon as I set the alarm, either in zone mode, or full mode. It has been doing this randomly for the last 6 months or so, but putting in the code has cleared it previously. I am now at the point where I can't set the alarm at all.

Can anyone advise where I can get the user manual from (I've had a look through the posts, and the link to the pdf doesn't seem to work), and haven't been able to find the pyronics (x?) website.

Also, can anyone advise how to trace what is kicking off the tamper sensor. None of the PIR's are staying on, which used to be an indication of a zone alarm activation.

The LED number on the panel is out completely, if that indicates anything?

As a side issue, I have previously scrolled through the stored list of (false) alarm activations (but can't remember how to do it without the manual), but the memory was full, and if I remember rightly, it said that this could only be cleared with the engineers code (which, guess what, I don't have either - always meant to ring the installer to ask, but never got around to it). Is there anyway to clear this without the code?

I would be grateful for any help. In return, if anyone has an IT problem, I may be able to help ..

Manual if it helps...

Paragon_plus_manual.pdf

Guest paragonproblem
Sounds like you have an external sounder tamper fault, although it could be panel tamper.

Someone on here who knows paragon might be able to help further, but until the fault is cleared your alarm wont set.

Thanks for your quick response, (BTW the external sounder isn't going off, just the panel)..

By external sounder tamper fault, do you mean the wire to the bell box, or the bell itself?

I've had the tamper alarm going off before, when I tried to wallpaper around a PIR, so could it possibly be a faulty PIR (or loose screw holding the PIR together). If it was a PIR tamper, would the PIR light stay on if this was the cause - I've had a look around, and they all seem to be working normally. Are these tamper indications generic, or specific to the panel?

Sorry mate its not your bell box if its not ringing, its a tamper some where else, check all cable and detectors. Have you ever had your battery changed?

No the pir light would only be on if its gone into alarm.

Guest paragonproblem

rjbsec,

Thanks for the link, to the pdf, still can't download it unfortunately. (I think it was your link I tried before, same problem downloading..) I'll try a different PC, failing that, is it available on the web anywhere that you know of?)

Guest paragonproblem

Adi,

No, still got the original battery, I wondered how long it would last...Are they Ni-cad's? By your respone, it suggests that if this gives up the ghost, it could cause this type of fault. or damage the panel? Is the battery in the bell box, or the panel, or both.

Am a bit nervous about touching the PIR's while the panel is in this state, in case the bell starts going off and I can't stop it.. Will have a look in the daytime..

On somepanels when the control panel battery has come to the end of its life it can make the panel lock up and work erraticaly. They should be changed every 4 years, so its a good idea to change it even if it dosent fix your problem. Ideally you need to check your charging circuit is still working.

There is a battery in both, 12volt lead acid in the panel and ni cad in bell box, but not 12volt.

Maybe best for you and your neighbours if you leave it tonight, then check all your tampers.

You could remove the tamper cables from your panel and replace with a small wire link atleast you will know the tamper is on your detector circuits.

Guest paragonproblem

I think the panel is tamper protected as well, so it will probably go off as soon as I remove the cover. Normally, I would have a go myself, but the possibility of me setting the alarm off and not being able to stop it, is putting me off the idea. May have to call a pro in..if I can find one that isn't going to rip me off.

Without the engineers manual or knowledge (which I know I'm not going to get..), I'm scrambling in the dark.

Thanks again for your responses. If you need any IT help, let me know.. (see moneysavingexpert.com techy forum)

(But don't ask me how to download PDF's from this site, as ironically I can't seem to do it!)

• 2 months later...
Guest steveh351

right click and choose save target as...that worked for me or I could e mail the pdf to anyone who needs it as I have saved it

Archived