Security Installer Community

1 camera split to 2 multiplexors - horizontal black bar

Alexg

Breff, this is defantly not a ground problem, there all on the same earth and the problem wasn't there before I added the T piece and the second DVR.

DJ, Nice to hear from you mate! how are things? Those VCR's are still doing an excelent job on site & there very happy with then,

Is the issue here not the fact that both the DVR & the mux are both terminating the camera feed? won't adding a end of line terminator add to the problem?

What I don't get is the Tecton MUX was a top of the range 16 channel unit which cost hundreds a few years back, yet it doesn't have the termination options in the installer menu, neither does the new DVR, surely if I did have this option, dropping the termination on one of the units should solve my problem?

There are 10 other cameras connected to the MUX & 5 others (not connected to the MUX) on the DVR, all the pictures are good...excelent infact even though I say so myself ;)

The simplest option is to crawl through the loft tomorow and get this cable from the DVR to the mux & loop it through.

Like I said, the DVR is a tempoary addition & the extra expense in amps and adding another box outside is not comparable to me spending an hour in the loft.

cheers guys.

Guest Rockford
Got 2 feeds from one camera, each feed splits at the camera with a bnc Y splitter.

1 feed runs to a Tecton multiplexor, the other to a Borsatec DVR.

On both screens I get a very faint horizontal bar which goes from left to right really quickly.

I can't find anyway to adjust the termination settings in either the mux or the DVR.

Any suggestions? everything is on one TNS earth system.

Poss try a humbug after the Y junction? Have you measured the impedence (should obviously be 75ohm)? Don't s'pose you have access to a Hamlet you could "sniff" the cable run and the video feed with do you?

Hi Alexg,

Apart from the present problem, I'm delighted to hear things are otherwise o.k. with you. Much the same this end ....ish!

I just noticed you originally described the 'bar' as horizontal, but I'm guessing you actually meant vertical. I don't know the specific gear you are using, but I first came across what sounds like an almost identical problem about 15 years ago using a Vision Research multiplexer.

You can try lots of different things to sort the problem, but I'm inclined to say, if you are prepared to risk life and limb running an extra bit of cable through a loft, then go for it [that's probably what I'd do .... after I'd tried the plug on terminators first (LOL)].

Whilst technical problems are interesting and educational (and deeply annoying) in themselves, a good installer ideally wants a quick fix, and a straightforward use of existing loop through connectors, should solve your problem.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

regards

D.J.

Archived