Security Installer Community

moved PIR & constant fault showing

Guest baffled 1

Guest baffled 1

:hmm: I HAVE HAD TO MOVE MY PIR AND ON RECONNECTION, IT APPEARS NOT TO BE WORKING. IT IS NOT ACTIVATING AND IF I TRY AND ARM THE ALARM IT SHOWS A FAULT ON THIS ZONE. THE WIRING IS CORRECT. IT IS AS IF THE SENSORS OR CONTROL BOX NEEDS RESETTING, OR HAVE I TOTALLY COCKED UP? I HAVE THE MUCH SLATED OMNICRON 8000 FITTED. ANY HELP PLEASE WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS IT IS CABBAGING MY HEAD

CHRIS

Does the LED come on when you move in front of the unit? If not, then there is no voltage getting to the PIR. Or, maybe there is voltage (which you need to check with a multimeter) but the PIR is damaged.

If you have power and the zone is showing open then the PIR is not connected correctly. Have you extended the cable? Is the zone showing open or is it a tamper?

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest baffled 1
cheers Zak, No the led doesn't light up when you walk infront of sensor, if i join the power leads together the alarm will set, this leads me to believe the PIR is faulty but this seems a strange coincidence as it was working fine before the move. Or have i blown it by not powering down the alarm before disconnecting it?

cheers Zak, No the led doesn't light up when you walk infront of sensor, if i join the power leads together the alarm will set, this leads me to believe the PIR is faulty but this seems a strange coincidence as it was working fine before the move. Or have i blown it by not powering down the alarm before disconnecting it?

I hope you meant that if you join the alarm pair together the alarm will set, and NOT THE POWER PAIR OF CABLES. You could not have blown any internal fuses otherwise your other PIR's would not be working.

Did you extend the cable? I would imagine that there is no connection somewhere on the 12v coming from where the detector was, to where it now is. Are you sure you have made the connections in the PIR correctly (correct polarity, and with the cable fitted and screwed down in the terminal properly)?

Do you have a meter for checking voltage?

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest baffled 1

no i do not have a meter, and you were correct it was the alarm wires that when connected allows me to reset the alarm. I have shortened the wires on this pir that is linked into another pir and both are not working, yet the pir upstairs on a separate zone is still working... should i stick to selling ladders and leave my alarm to the people that know?

:rolleyes:

At least you came to the conclusion on your own :P .

It can't be anything too serious, but obviously the power is interrupted somewhere. Can't really advise further apart from call an alarm company :yes:

Archived