Security Installer Community

Blown speaker outputs?

Guest safegard

Guest safegard

As an experienced security installation company we have been installing the ADE Karisma Plus control panel for many years without any problems. We must have several hundred panels out there, and we have recently encountered problems when the Karisma Plus was connected to the Pyronix Twin Alert sounder. Namely, the panels speaker output is being blown (and is unrepairable).

Initially we assumed this was a one off but we now have seven panels (most of which are less than two years old) which have had their speaker outputs blown when connected to a Twin Alert.

Installation over this period was done using Twin Alerts or CQR SOINT1 speakers, depending what was in stock, and to date no panel with a SOINT1 speaker has been affected in a similar way.

I would therefore conclude that the problem is being caused by the Twin Alert speaker.

Both Pyronix and ADE have been made aware of this problem many months ago and made promises of investigations, but we have not heard from either of them. At all. Not even an acknowledgement of our complaint (which was made in writing).

Has anybody else experienced similar problems?

If so how have you got on with the manufacturers?

This problem is costing my company a lot of money putting the faults right.

Any ideas anyone?

Guest Peter James

We have had dealings with Pyronix burying their heads in the sand faulty stuff before.banghead

And ADE have gone really down hill since they joined with bardic or whatever there called. <_<

My moneys on the Pyronix twin alert puting to much load on the karizma output. check the resistance of the sounder against what it say's on the side of the box, then check out what the speaker output is rated at on the Karzma.

Good luck in getting any joy from Pyronix though.banghead

Pete :)

Guest Affinity

Is the twin alert connected soley to the speaker output or r u using sounder output? Obvious answer though, if you are losing so much money, would be to stick with CQR soint 1 if it isnt causing a problem :D

Guest Affinity

I did offer you to call in or give me your phone number but you didn't want to part with it :) however our technical section have asked me to ask you the question I posted warlier. I have tried to call Pyronix foryou ....what a pallarva...couldnt get through to technical and as for ade well no chance..

however for your information the q. current on the Pyronix twin Alert is 30mm amps and the alarm is 160 mm amps the speaker output for the karisma plus is 300mm loading the panel is 1amp.

The conclusion reached is stick with what isn't causing you a problem why rock the boat.

see I do try

Linda :rolleyes:

Guest safegard

Thanks for the input guys.

Answers to questions.....

Well, the twin alert is strange in so far as it doesnt appear to have a rated resistance. I think this has something to do with the clever jiggery pokery electronics they have come up with which has enabled them to use a piezo sounder as a speaker and as an alarm sounder in the same unit. The unit has connections for + & - 12v, with trigger input from -ve sw bell output for the alarm sound and an input from a speaker terminal which gives the low vol entry/exit tones etc. The unit does not have a stated resistance rating like a normal speaker.

As for sticking to the kit that doesnt give any problems, well yes, of course we are now using soint1 speakers all the time. BUT it doesnt help with the existing 60 systems or so that are still out there with twin alerts connected, which appear to be failing at the rate of about two a month!!

Surely we can't be the only company to be experiencing this problem??!!!!

To my mind one of the manufacturers should find exactly what the problem is being caused by, and cough up some compensation to us for all the hassle and expense that we've had putting these faults right.

What do you guys think?

Guest Peter James

Yeah Right! Good Luck. :mellow:

My advise is to prove it then take it to the trading standards, you wont get anywhere by just talking to your sales rep.

Why not measured the resistance across the twin alert speaker, and check it against the output rating of the panel? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sympathize with your problems re-contacting companies for answers. The supply of info is sometimes sparce to say the least!

I am installing an Accenta 8 mini, and have not to date found a source of recommended parts re-smoke and heat detectors. And reading your post rather worries me that some that seem compatible might not be!

Does anyone have any experience/recommends/(warnings!) of compaitble components for this panel?

cheers.

(Sorry I can't help with your own question!) Perhaps I should be posting this as a new topic?!, newbie!

Guest safegard

we have always found that the hochiki detector range have been very reliable with all types of intruder alarm control panel.

you buy a 12v base which will then supply a professional quality 24v smoke or heat detector. the base takes either smoke or heat interchangeably, and are easy to install.

i would caution you as to check your current loading carefully on such a small panel though.

and yes, i think you probably should have posted this query elsewhere on the forum!!

Archived