Security Installer Community

Electical Certificate

housty

Guest johnburger
Hi all

Could anyone tell me what test are involved in a domestic rewire before a Electical Certificate can be issued?

IE when all the cables are ran back to the consumer unit and ready to be connected in?

What readings do you measure?

housty

Basically insulation resistance, earth continuity, earth loop impedence, functionality, and inspection. You will need the correct equipment for each test and know that the design and cables meet all the relevant standards. For a domestic rewire you should be using a registered electrician or using the council to inspect and test at all stages.

On a slightly related theme, rather than the NICEIC I've found an organisation called NAPIT who are a more cost effective means of getting certification at £300 per year if all you need it for is the odd spur.

I haven't heard of them before but has anyone else heard of them or had dealings with them?

Yes I am a member. They offer the full scheme as well and seem to be the friendliest of the bodies. My membership has paid for itself many times over, I must have had

Archived