Security Installer Community

email

Security Technician

i am about to launch my pc!!!!

recently bought and installed mcaffe internet security, all well and good

Problem is since then, well last few days every night when i log into my email account i recieve a load of duplicate emails from day or two before, then sometimes get the same again the next day etc etc this is really driving me potty!! is this my antivirus etc or is it ntl playing silly beggars as per usual

Try changing the settings in your email client to delete mails off the server when downloaded, that will stop them getting resent.

47580[/snapback]

just looked but cant find no settings in outlook express, as far as i am aware it does not keep on server when running outlook express... is it worth trying outlook

Probably NTL. I seem to think I've heard of NTL doing this to other people too. I assume you're using Outlook Express? If it happens to mail from all sources then I'd be inclined to think NTL.

I only used McAffe once, it completely rogered everything on two PC's then refused to let me start anything up to fix it. It's a bloody nightmare in my opinion so it was promptly uninstalled and everything worked again.

Might be worth checking settings in McAfee to see if there is anything in there that's doing it.

Don't try Outlook, OE is fine.

Go to Tools, Accounts. Click the Mail tab, select your account and click properties. Under the Advanced, or Server, tab there is an option for leave messages on server.

I don't actually use OE or Outlook so I can't remember exactly where the buttons are, the above is from memory!

Probably NTL. I seem to think I've heard of NTL doing this to other people too. I assume you're using Outlook Express? If it happens to mail from all sources then I'd be inclined to think NTL.

I only used McAffe once, it completely rogered everything on two PC's then refused to let me start anything up to fix it. It's a bloody nightmare in my opinion so it was promptly uninstalled and everything worked again.

Might be worth checking settings in McAfee to see if there is anything in there that's doing it.

47584[/snapback]

ok thanks, didnt have any problems with mcafee for first few days... it duplicating all emails such as ones from this site and anywhere else, will contact ntl and give them hell

Shouldn't make any difference either way. Try ticking it and when you get a load of duplicate mails log in to your webmail at NTL and see what's in there. Might not be a difiinitive answer but it may be a NTL server further upstream sending multiple copies so you may see multiple copies in the webmail pages. If not it could be NTL's fault, somewhere between there and you or it could be McAffe scanning and sending multiple copies to itself.

Archived