Security Installer Community

buffer over flow

hiro

mate of mines running windows 98 and when he tries to start up internet explorer version 6 it gives out - buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program' s internal state the program can no longer continue execution and must now be terminated!- and he can't access internet any ideas

Any comments or points i make are my own views and not that of my employer or company

I use Win 98 with IE6 no problems, if he wants to stick with it guess he will need to reinstall IE6, or delete it and get IE5 on from his Windows 98 Disc.

Do a search on google as this problem has been had by other users, quite a ferw sites found I searched for:

win98 ie6 buffer overrun

Problem is mentioned here: http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=3070

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

I use Win 98 with IE6 no problems, if he wants to stick with it guess he will need to reinstall IE6, or delete it and get IE5 on from his Windows 98 Disc.

Do a search on google as this problem has been had by other users, quite a ferw sites found I searched for:

win98 ie6 buffer overrun

Problem is mentioned here: http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=3070

Simon

41314[/snapback]

Some very helpful comments on that forum, which I would summarise as:

Make sure there are no viruses, etc.

If on broadband make sure you've got a firewall

Make sure all latest updates and patches from Microsoft are applied

If all else fails reinstall Windows from scratch.

Bloody good advice that !!

Did'nt  say it was helpful, just said the problem was mentioned !  However sounds similar to PC World lab that - any problem hardware or software can be cured by the recovery disk !

41338[/snapback]

Very true. That's why I initially suggested trying alternative browsers. You might never identify and cure the problem, but if you can just walk round it with minimal effort ........... :D

thanks for the help hope I can sort this out for my mate he download firefox and that works ok tried reinstalling explorer but still same

Any comments or points i make are my own views and not that of my employer or company

• 1 year later...

Archived