Security Installer Community

Detector - cats

Guest spbaldock

Guest spbaldock

I have a standard PIR sensor in our utility room which is quite small - about 2.5m x 2m. We also have a cat, which means we can't use it. All the posts about pet friendly detectors seem to have restrictions that the cat must not come closer than about 1.5m of the alarm will go off. We have a counter across the room which the cat goes on, so presumably, we can't avoid the cat setting it off.

Can I change the PIR and replace it with a magnetic door contact - if so, how would I replace the existing wires from the detector?

Guest simonrob

You could replace the PIR with a door contact assuming there is enough cable to place the door contact at a suitable point on the door.

However you will need to ensure that the existing + and - for the PIR are disconnected in the control panel and then wire the other cores, alarm and tamper, into the door contact.

If you are not confident with doing this I would strongly advise that you contact an alarm company to do this for you.

If you post your location I am sure somebody on this forum will be able to assist.

Simon

Archived