Security Installer Community

hard drive

Security Technician

evening all, on the scrounge again for technical advice... my laptop running wp home, what i am after doing is sectioning the hard drive so i can run ms dos etc, i have seen it on a pc that i borrowed from a colleague but havent seen him to ask him how... by looks it is actually split in 3 parts? 1 being ms dos 6... is this easy to do as i need dos to run certain programs for panels etc

thanks

Have you tried running them in MS-DOS mode within windows, aka Command Prompt.

Go to Start and press Run then type cmd and press enter. That's DOS. I use it for programming phone systems with DOS programs.

If you do need a completely seperate DOS partition, which is unlikely, then there are partitioning tools out there, such as Powerquests Partition Magic. Cheapish to buy but if your mate's got it then borrow a copy from him.

Have you tried running them in MS-DOS mode within windows, aka Command Prompt.

Go to Start and press Run then type cmd and press enter. That's DOS. I use it for programming phone systems with DOS programs.

If you do need a completely seperate DOS partition, which is unlikely, then there are partitioning tools out there, such as Powerquests Partition Magic. Cheapish to buy but if your mate's got it then borrow a copy from him.

34671[/snapback]

will it be a program that is installed on his laptop that i can drag off? not likely to see him for a while as he lives quite a way from me and is on sick at mo

will it be a program that is installed on his laptop that i can drag off? not likely to see him for a while as he lives quite a way from me and is on sick at mo

34673[/snapback]

If it is partitioned with a seperate DOS installation then it will more than likely be a program that is installed to do that. You'll need the installation disc for the partitioning tool and also the MS-DOS 6 disks in order to install that on one of the partitions.

If it is partitioned with a seperate DOS installation then it will more than likely be a program that is installed to do that. You'll need the installation disc for the partitioning tool and also the MS-DOS 6 disks in order to install that on one of the partitions.

34675[/snapback]

oh right i see so not something that can be copied then, where do u recomend where i could get required programs, i take it it is easy enough to install when partitioned then?

need actual dos rather than cmd in windows or the programs wont run properly :wacko:

Well, there's the non dodgy route of buying it from somewhere online. :whistle:

I'm not sure where to buy it from specifically, best bet is just do a quick google and have search on dealtime, I don't think you can get DOS 6 anywhere though. I'm not even sure where my copy of DOS 6\Win 3.1 have gone. I think someone 'borrowed' them a while back and I've not seen them since.

when you power the laptop up it asks you do you want to start windows xp or ms dos, if that narrows it down

34679[/snapback]

Ah well, you could try going into dos and see what happens there.

thats on mates pc but gonna try using cmd before i start formatting and partitioning

34685[/snapback]

Ah, I see. It could be something he's setup in various ways so I couldn't say what he's done to get it to do that. If going in to via cmd doesn't work you could try pressing F8 at bootup then you should get an option to be able to boot into DOS mode etc...

Archived