Security Installer Community

Optex

Have been using CK IS215's in domestics for about six years now - without any probs at all really.

I just discovered the optex quad and have installed it in a couple of tricky areas on a recent job, I have now ordered a few more for an install this saturday.

Having seen the coverage pattern on the last install, I was very impressed.

Ive never had a prob with false alarms on my old 215's - but I felt like a change - and now im getting very busy I want a more upmarket detector which is why ive gone for the optex quad (cant remember model no sorry).

What are other peoples thoughts on these detectors (I know about the noisey relay probs of past - but these new ones seem quiet?).

Optex as a rule are amonst the best detectors on the market, they are generally very well built and well thought out with the installer in mind ie lots of knockouts for cables, fixings etc.

We only us their DX40/60 dueltechs but they are top stuff.

Basically as a rule you cant go wrong with Optex

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Sound like they are RX40QZs

There is a pet version the RX40PZ or something like that.

32737[/snapback]

Pretty certain they are the ones :)

Ill let you know tommorow - I just wanted to know if anyone has anything bad to say about them before I start fitting them exclusively as a standard detector - obviously im still using dual techs too - (C&K again sorry guys LOL) - but I wanna make sure the optex are ok for standard installs before I switch from the 215's.

Guest MKAlarms

The RX40's are not quads just standard dual element PIRs.

Optex call their lens Quad Zone Logic, which misleads people into thinking they are getting a quad (Gardiners even mistakenly had them in the Quad section of their catalogue a few years ago).

These are the ones with the clicking relays and cardboard PCBs. Not for me (but being cheap they've sold a few).

The RX40's are not quads just standard dual element PIRs.

Optex call their lens Quad Zone Logic, which misleads people into thinking they are getting a quad (Gardiners even mistakenly had them in the Quad section of their catalogue a few years ago).

These are the ones with the clicking relays and cardboard PCBs. Not for me (but being cheap they've sold a few).

32749[/snapback]

Just read that on theie web site WTF, why call it a quad then??? grrrr - a quad is a quad pyro not a lense filter - Whats going on with the world - Im annoyed now - I feel mislead! :realmad:

Guest MKAlarms
As for "cardboard PCBs", I have no idea what you mean -

32813[/snapback]

The RX40 uses "FR2" material for its PCB - this is made of paper/cardboard and only allows tracks on one side. Most PCBs are made of "FR4" which is fibre glass, as well as being physically stronger you can have copper on both sides which gives better shielding from RFI. The only reason any manufacturer would use FR2 is because it's cheaper, (same reason for using an unshielded relay).

See: http://www.felsweb.com/lam_faq.htm

(I used to work in electronics... then I joined the security industry... ;) )

MikeR

AFAIK RX40s are described as "quad zone logic" meaning some fancy software, not a true quad (note the sponge over the rear of the pyro to stop you counting the pins!)

Were on the box does it say its a QUAD Detector? :blink:

Got to agree with Deltaseven, its one of the best PIR detector in its price range ;)

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Were on the box does it say its a QUAD Detector? :blink:

Got to agree with Deltaseven, its one of the best PIR detector in its price range  ;)

32827[/snapback]

ER, on the side for a start.....

But a stated it is quad logic NOT quad piro - Im a bit dissapointed, but the coverage they give seems to be one of the best Ive seen, plus there false alarm immunity on the last job does the trick, so I'll just have to see how it goes I suppose....

It says that it use's "Quad zone logic", it dosen't say its a Quad Detector :no:

Im a bit dissapointed
Why? It dose what it say's on the tin and probably works better than most true Quad detectors :whistle:
the coverage they give seems to be one of the best Ive seen, plus there false alarm immunity on the last job does the trick

For the price what more can you ask for :w00t:

It says that it use's "Quad zone logic", it dosen't say its a Quad Detector :no:

Why? It dose what it say's on the tin and probably works better than most true Quad detectors  :whistle:

For the price what more can you ask for :w00t:

32876[/snapback]

I got told by my supplier they were QUADS - and really there not are they - thats what the problem is.

I agree on the face of it they look like good detectors though - but its like going into a motorbike shop and asking for a motorbike and being given a mo-ped LOL :blink:

I got told by my supplier they were QUADS - and really there not are they - thats what the problem is.

Don't you love suppliers :wub::lol:

Its like the sales man from one of the big Detector companies(no names)

that came to show us his new PIR and didn't know how to get the cover off the detector... :w00t::lol:

We have just moved from the OPTEX RX-40QZ we had these screen-printed with our logo and Optex insist on a thousand-detector quantity. I can honestly say I have only replaced 2. We have now moved on to the PYRONIX KX range yes the one with the blue led. Now these are screen printed in much smaller quantities and the EOL selector is a dream (all installs will be EOL after Oct 05). Another plus is that all the detectors in the range share a common housing so changing detectors (PIR to D/T) and stock orders are simple.

Jef

Customers!

/guilty on

the new quad from pyronix, the one with the blue LED, bullet proof housing and jumpers for EOL.

/guilty off

33021[/snapback]

Bullet proof hey?!? - Handy for liverpool where me is from me thinks! - blue LED - might scare the chavs off- they'll think its the plod come to get 'em LOL :lol::P

blue LED - might scare the chavs off- they'll think its the plod come to get 'em LOL  :lol:  :P

33065[/snapback]

Nah. They'll be nicking the LED out of 'em to put underneath their modded Vauxhall Novas :D It'll be strobe lights next :whistle:

Trade Member

I love rx-40s I have the pet ones in my house never given me any calls (touch wood) and the best thing about rx 40 is you can turn the board upside down to replace the ex-35 the hole is even there for the screw...... :yes:

Garry

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

Guest MKAlarms
(all installs will be EOL after Oct 05).

33024[/snapback]

Only Grade 3 installs will have to be EOL, for Grade 2 double pole is fine.

I don't think the KX detectors are Grade 3 either (no anti masking).

How have you found them? I know they recalled loads but don't know why.

(We saw some very badly moulded lenses and heard they were easily triggered by mobile phones.)

MikeR

Archived