Security Installer Community

Just Need A Dvr Now

Scuttle

Hi

Another newbie looking for some advice please.

I have 4 540TVL Sony Super Hads which I’m quite pleased with. They are wired in with RG59 0.7mm solid copper core with a good copper braid. My longest run is 35m and I can’t see any signal loss when connected directly to the TV.

I did have a dvr

http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/usb-video-capture-device-with-windows-pc-dvr-net-access-cctv-software

but it had a 7 second delay from motion detection until the start of recording which made it useless as the subject had gone by the time it decided it was ready to record. Unfortunate, as it was only £70 and everything else appeared to be ok. So, the DVR is now gone.

To keep costs down, I would like a PC based DVR. My PC is a custom build – AMD Athlon II X4 3.1Ghz, 4Gb DDR3 1300Mhz, ATI Radeon 6450hd 625mhz 1Gb and a free 500Gb HDD, running WIN 7 64 Bit. I’m also about top fall heir to a laptop which I believe has an intel dual core – it’s amazing what some people will throw out!

I would also be happy with a standalone DVR that I can connect to and monitor via the PC.

I just might add some more cameras in the future so I would like some advice specifically to 4 and 8 channel systems.

I had considered having a punt on a second hand AVTECH 787 16 Channel if the price is right. The functionality is impressive, but the quality…

Your thoughts please, bearing in mind cost is important.

Many thanks for taking the time and sorry about the novel.

Archived