Security Installer Community

Wiring A Garage Door Sensor

Onzadog

Hi All,

Not posted here in a while but when I started having a spot of bother, I thought of this place straight away.

The garage door contact (industrial roller shutter type) has been playing up. After a bit of playing around, I concluded it was a sticky reed so ordered a new sensor (this was confirmed by the fact I got the chime I expected if I tapped the sensor).

Anyway, new sensor arrives, looks just like the old one. This new one has two white wires for the alarm and two red for the tamper.

This is where my trouble starts. The old one has 4 white wires. I assume they're doing the same job, it just makes it a lot harder to know where to put them.

In the junction box I have the following:-

Top screw, a green wire that leads back to the panel and one of the old white wires. Also, a resistor which leads to the second screw.

Second screw is another of the old wire and the resistor from above twisted together with a resistor that goes down to the next screw.

Third screw has an old white wire and the last leg of the resistor.

screw four has a white wire that leads back to the panel (or at lest in the same direction as the white one) and is the top half of the leaf spring tamper.

Screw five has an old white wire attached.

Can anyone tell me which are the alarm circuit and which are the tamper circuit? Any any reason why I can't just replace like for like? This should work shouldn't it?

Many thanks,

OD.

sc

I presume its not under a service agreement? What panel is it?

Wire/resistor over the leaf spring is the tamper, so thats the reds off your RDC, other is shunt resistor which is the alarm circuit. Just make sure your alarm isnt on tamper reset, as if it locks out asking for an engineer code, and you dont have it its a call out.

Or an easier way, if you have a multimeter, set to continuity, on the old wires with the door open, two will 'buzz' these were your RDC tampers. The remaining two should be open circuit, shut the door, then they should 'buzz' (might need a tap as it sticks remember ;))

I presume its not under a service agreement? What panel is it?

Wire/resistor over the leaf spring is the tamper, so thats the reds off your RDC, other is shunt resistor which is the alarm circuit. Just make sure your alarm isnt on tamper reset, as if it locks out asking for an engineer code, and you dont have it its a call out.

Or an easier way, if you have a multimeter, set to continuity, on the old wires with the door open, two will 'buzz' these were your RDC tampers. The remaining two should be open circuit, shut the door, then they should 'buzz' (might need a tap as it sticks remember ;))

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply. It's not under a service agreement anymore. It's a bit of a shame as the guy who used to do the servicing was fantastic. However, the admin side of the business messed us around no end and left us with no choice but to bin them. It doesn't lock out on a tamper and I've actually got the engineer code due to a bug with the original install and the on call guy used to reset by giving me instructions over the phone instead of a 100 mile round trip. Can't say I blame him really.

I also made a really basic error in that I took the old sensor off the system before testing or marking the wires. D'oh!

Anyway, I tried a little common sense (eventually). I had a look at one of the PIRs in the system and found that they use green for the alarm wire and the white for the tamper on the existing system. After that, it left me with two wires and two locations. That was a bit of guess work. I assumes that they'd have kept the two alarm wires together. Seems to have worked.

Thanks again.

Archived