Security Installer Community

pir advice

Guest robin

Guest robin
:help: i would like some advice from professional alarm installers please,over the last few years ive been plagued by false alarms from my pir`s and ive decided its time to upgrade my system etc,im installing a new panel etc, but i need some advice reguarding which type of pir to have.the dual tech pir`s seem the right way to go but there rather expensive compared to the quad type,any advice would be appreciated,above all i want to have as few false alarms as possible for my neighbours sake as well as my own.....

Guest simmo

Robin

I have used Pyronix MEQ12 Pir's for over a year with no reported problems from any of my customers.

I also use Pyronix Equinox Dual Tech detectors for anywhere requiring it ie harsher enviroments and again I've had no problems with these.

I have recently been using Dedicated Systems DS820i as my standard Dual Tech, its actually a pet sensor, but it works brilliantly. Tho a trifle expensive.

As always it comes down to cost. If you have the money I suggest you go with a dual tech sensor as theoretically you will have fewer false activations.

cheers

Simmo B)

Guest Adrian

B) I use Rockenet PQ Quad pirs always found them to be very reliable, in fact I've not had a faulty one in over 12 months,

They work best in the domestic enviroment Though I have tryed one in my garage for 3 months and no false alarms.

I like them plenty of space inside easy to mount, sealed optics and they have a pulse count.

This is just my view.

Adrian B)

Guest Oz Paul

Have you covered yourself for some of the more common causes of false alarms such as looking directly at a window, spiders webs (the bane of service engineers lives) draughts moving things(curtains etc) more often than not its something external reather than the detector its self.

failing this, I would tend to go for a dualtec, but these are also open to activation by elements other than faulty detectors.

Guest ROBIN

Thanks to all that have replied,as was mentioned in one reply,ive also had plenty of trouble with spiders webs & other insects,especially in the summer months when `thunder flies`seem to be attracted to the inside of my pirs,the pir`s that are on my system at presant are about 9yrs old & i seem to recall that they cost little more than a tenner each back then so maybe they wernt that good to start with.i suppose the old saying "you get what you pay for "applies to security equipment aswell as most other things in life so im going to bite the bullet & invest in some quality branded dual tech detectors to upgrade my system.thanks again to all that replied to my problem.....ROBIN

• 3 years later...
Late reply i know, but i use blu tack to seal the cable entries. No more Mr House fly or inciney winency spider

blu tack? you rich bugger..............plasticine cheap but chalk is cheaper still :P

there is nothing which will keep out those tiny midge things out, jay's or vaseoline help, when we used cqr sounders you could see dead one inside the clear pizeo's, on pre wired jobs i've found them a meter + inside when stripped back

Guest rjbsec

What about "Thrips" or "Fireflies" as some people call them - tiny as the flakes off of a graphite pencil tip and get in everywhere ... especially ionisation smoke detectors :cry:

Archived