Security Installer Community

Identifying Outstations

Hi to all, I tried resetting the power but it didnt do anything, all data are still intact and all loops are complete, but the "Ground Break" fault is still not resetted. Ground break and Split are of different fault. A fire alarm engineer came and tried removing the negative "-" wire on a particular outstation and the fault is a split on that outstation not ground break, so "Ground Break" means either "Earth Fault" or "earth split" on the earth conductor on the FP200 cable. As advised, a point to point testing will be done which is a very hard task. I need more advise from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

If you have old 3400 detectors it's 99% sure to be bad solder joints on the base PCB or a sticky relay in the outstation.

If it's a sticky relay in the base try lightly tapping the device rapidly as the system allocates, worked for me once on a Friday afternoon!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Hi to all, I tried resetting the power but it didnt do anything, all data are still intact and all loops are complete, but the "Ground Break" fault is still not resetted. Ground break and Split are of different fault. A fire alarm engineer came and tried removing the negative "-" wire on a particular outstation and the fault is a split on that outstation not ground break, so "Ground Break" means either "Earth Fault" or "earth split" on the earth conductor on the FP200 cable. As advised, a point to point testing will be done which is a very hard task. I need more advise from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Ground Fault = split negative on the loop somewhere!!!

Have a look at this extract from the commissioning manual for the 3400,

tracking down that fault (split neg) should be relativily easy to find, / track down to 1-2 devices, then it's get you screwdriver out and find it

post-3143-1243360868_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Dean

Dean Wholey

NCC

Dean.Wholey@Ntlworld.com

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, as I have said that finding the fault somewhere is a very hard task since the outstations are located 15 meters above and the gent panel is 50 meters far from the building. and there are hundreds of points to check. this ground break fault was entrusted to me I think from the former Engineer who doesnt want the fault be corrected. this is what happens when there is no maintenance for this system in 3 years.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your help.

3400 kit canbe replaced with 32/34000 depending on the software version you are running. The old 3400 stuff is a total headache, because of the bases. See the fault maybe a head, but most lightly a faulty base. Might be worth upgrading to the newer kit.

Note, i'm not talking about s-quad, 34000.

Ground Fault = split negative on the loop somewhere!!!

Have a look at this extract from the commissioning manual for the 3400,

tracking down that fault (split neg) should be relativily easy to find, / track down to 1-2 devices, then it's get you screwdriver out and find it

post-3143-1243360868_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Dean

If the loop has been reallocated with a ground break I'm not *sure* if it will have seen two spurs and back allocated from L2 as well, it's been a few years since I did Gent fault finding so it's not clear in my memory. If this system has allocated backwards from L2 fault finding will have to be done a different way as I'm sure you know! :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

Luggsey your memory serves you well!

op you will have to disconnect L2, allocate the loop whatever device it stops allocating on test that device to find that device if you cannot find it, it may be faulty try testing the one before it. once you find it and sort it and all your cards allocate ok remember to take the write protect off back the it up and put the write protect back on as the VIG doesn't like when you mess about with it and don't do a back up.

Luggsey your memory serves you well!

Well that's a first!

I'm still not 100% that a ground break will make it allocate two spurs?

:hmm:

My Amateur Radio Forum

Well that's a first!

I'm still not 100% that a ground break will make it allocate two spurs?

:hmm:

If you allocate with both ends in you could have two radial circuits and unless there is fault that is recognizable by the panel, then you wont know about it.

If you allocate with both ends in you could have two radial circuits and unless there is fault that is recognizable by the panel, then you wont know about it.

Hi Steve, does disconnecting the L2 will have a voltage effect on the loop card? my concern is a slight voltage fluctuation may damage the card. but its probably right that the card will detect and stop allocating on the device with a ground break since the loop will not be complete and will detect a radial circuit. We havent tried this one but its worth a try and may save our jobs.

Thanks a lot.

Archived