Security Installer Community

PC Vs Standalone

Guest CCTVINSTALLER

Guest CCTVINSTALLER

Just wanted to know how many of you use any sort of PC based CCTV for installations, small installations such as retail shops etc? And if so have you encountered many problems which make you think twice about PC based CCTV?

The initial advantages is the powerful features not availible on standalone DVRs, however the costs seem to be higher to build. Any thoughts?

Guest CCTVINSTALLER

Yes Peter, i agree with the fact that the pc based have more features and network facilities. However, the average shop owner only wants the system for remote view, geovision has so many useful features; object counter and POS, most of which you aint gonna use anyway, but you're paying for it.

Standalones are generally more reliable than pc based, and sooo much more cheaper. A pc based system would cost around £700 to build, then you'll need to install a firewall, and hdd failure occurs quite often, if you want a build a reliable system, you'll need to spend around at least £1000 on the right PSU, motherboard, memory, HDDs etc. I've installed a few pc based systems in shops, but i've had so many problems such as internet keeps on disconnecting, people switching of the pc and stopping recording, that im thinking of just installing standalones. pc based is probably more useful for larger systems where you want to network them, and provide all the features, such as multiple industrial estates etc.

Archived