Security Installer Community

Galaxy Dimension Internal Serial Port

ashields

Hi

I've just had a Galaxy Dimension GD48 installed by ADT and would like to use the serial port to get status information on set/unset and zone activations (any other data would be a bonus)

The engineer left a cable attached for me and in the short time he had available had a brief attempt at setting the internal serial port to direct connection with SIA level 3 signaling with all of the trigger events enabled.

I didn't have a chance to connect a terminal or anything but I did have a serial protocol monitor plugged in. I didn't see any output from the panel, however I'm guessing that it wouldn't just start sending zone information until the connected device performed some sort of sign in.

Does anybody know

1. Does the GD48 require a signal on either RTS or CTS when in local mode or are these lines just used with a modem?

2. Is there any freely available information on SIA protocol on the web, Mr Google can't find any, Or should I just stump up for the book on ANSI's web site?

3. What sort of baud rate, stop, parity etc the GD48 uses, We couldn't find any sort of information on this in the installers manual.

4. I noticed that the panel also supports a couple of proprietary protocols on this port (can't remember what they where called), would I be better off looking at one of these or is SIA the best way to go.

Thanks

Alan

Hi

I've just had a Galaxy Dimension GD48 installed by ADT and would like to use the serial port to get status information on set/unset and zone activations (any other data would be a bonus)

The engineer left a cable attached for me and in the short time he had available had a brief attempt at setting the internal serial port to direct connection with SIA level 3 signaling with all of the trigger events enabled.

I didn't have a chance to connect a terminal or anything but I did have a serial protocol monitor plugged in. I didn't see any output from the panel, however I'm guessing that it wouldn't just start sending zone information until the connected device performed some sort of sign in.

Does anybody know

1. Does the GD48 require a signal on either RTS or CTS when in local mode or are these lines just used with a modem?

2. Is there any freely available information on SIA protocol on the web, Mr Google can't find any, Or should I just stump up for the book on ANSI's web site?

3. What sort of baud rate, stop, parity etc the GD48 uses, We couldn't find any sort of information on this in the installers manual.

4. I noticed that the panel also supports a couple of proprietary protocols on this port (can't remember what they where called), would I be better off looking at one of these or is SIA the best way to go.

Thanks

Alan

what was the cable he left,was it a printer interface cable with either a 6 or 25 pin plug

It's just a piece of stranded cable that I crimped an RJ45 connector to one end to which I've attached an RJ45-DB25 custom adapter so I can easily re patch depending upon whether the final device that I connect is configured DTE or DCE. The appropriate pins connect through to the TX,RX,CTS,RTS and GND screw terminals on the panel.

There was no cable supplied with the panel, to be honest I was expecting a PCB header on the board with a supplied cable with as you say either a db9 or db25 connector on the other end rather than using screw terminals.

what was the cable he left,was it a printer interface cable with either a 6 or 25 pin plug

Guest old-hand
It's just a piece of stranded cable that I crimped an RJ45 connector to one end to which I've attached an RJ45-DB25 custom adapter so I can easily re patch depending upon whether the final device that I connect is configured DTE or DCE. The appropriate pins connect through to the TX,RX,CTS,RTS and GND screw terminals on the panel.

There was no cable supplied with the panel, to be honest I was expecting a PCB header on the board with a supplied cable with as you say either a db9 or db25 connector on the other end rather than using screw terminals.

Errr thats the 232 data line the printer goes on line 1.

Edited by me, was too harsh there.

Thanks for that, I did only get a few minutes to look as he couldn't leave it with me. I did guess at 1200 baud when I set up the protocol monitor because I'd seen that in a Galaxy G2 manual.

A quick reply

Start bit ON

Stop bit ON

Word Length 8 Data bits

Parity None

Baud Rate 1200

It is in the book.

by "232" I assume you mean RS232, that's what I want. I'm not trying to connect a printer, although I would have thought that would be serial as well rather than parallel.

Unfortunately the only engineer that's going to be able to touch the panel will be from ADT unless I want to lose monitoring and police response, as it is I need to be able to figure this out myself so that I can get it working first time when the engineer is next here.

Errr thats the 232 data line the printer goes on line 1.

Time to think about getting an engineer in who knows the panel methinks

by "232" I assume you mean RS232, that's what I want. I'm not trying to connect a printer, although I would have thought that would be serial as well rather than parallel.

Unfortunately the only engineer that's going to be able to touch the panel will be from ADT unless I want to lose monitoring and police response, as it is I need to be able to figure this out myself so that I can get it working first time when the engineer is next here.

you will need a 232 i/f and the pc will also need alarm monitor and galaxy gold, are you on digi or redcare/dualcom l cant remember who you lose the digi if you fit a 232 ,you can get manager gold or whatever its called now but it costs

Archived