Security Installer Community

Qualifications

Guest Coop

Having just escaped being attacked at work by a madman with a hammer :o I am thinking of a change of career!

I do not have any experience of alarm installation (just general DIY experience and a computer science degree). Is it worth me doing a BTEC with TAVCOM or similar BEFORE I approach potential employers for a trainee position?

If qualifications are a good idea which ones should I be looking at? Do you need a formal sparkie qualification to add a fused spur?

ps No injuries were sustained in the making of this career changing decision! :)

Speaking with my IT person hat on, I think the IT sector is very varied and you need to find an area you are comfortable and can gain experience in. There is a downturn in the number of graduates coming through universities with computer science degrees and it stands to get worse when funding changes are made at university level next year. So I would stick with your chosen career and just look for a new job. Mebe consider going and getting a MSc, or going on a refresher course. I wouldnt abandon it yet!

Dale

Guest RICHL

Don't expect the alarm industry to provide a haven of peace or gentlemanly conduct - I was once attacked by a mentalist plummer with a length of 3 by 2 because I moved his shower tray on a building site.

And it wasnt even fastened down.

Guest RICHL

Where abouts are you? Alarm co's are crying out for engineers, so you may not have any trouble getting a job.

Once in a co. qualifications and training will get you moved up.

Hi Coop,

TAVCOM is a good course but City & Guilds do their 1851 Security & Emergency Alarms Installation course for much less money. This can be done at your local college.

Legally, you don't need any formal electrical qualification to work on mains in the UK but as a minimum I would suggest doing a simple mains compliance course, again at your local college. An employer who can see your potential without a mains compliance certificate, must provide it as minimum training, however getting it under your own steam shows you are keen. i think it's only about £40.

Consider training as a full electrician. This can be done at your local City & Guilds provider. The course you need is 236 parts 1 & 2. This will make you much more attractive to an employer because you will be bringing flexibility.

For CCTV training, I've found none better than TAVCOM.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

I should point out that while there is no pre-requisite to hold a formal electrical qualification, should an incident occur & you are not qualified, you'd better enjoy porridge & showering with men!

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Archived