Security Installer Community

Gas Extinguishant Panels

The simpler the better then for this type of system operation then, as it seems apart from leftover Co2 systems, other agents biggest drawback is the expense of refilling in the event of accidental dumping of these extinguishants.

CO2 systems aren't leftover Steven,they are still in use for specific applications where other methods are not suitable (I have just commissioned three in the past two months).

If an inert agent is used then expense isn't an issue (as opposed to FM200 or equivalent chemical agents) but the actual loss of protection is an issue (the days of reserve banks having all but gone).In a server/IT situation the normal day to day workings mean that activation through automatic means is virtually non-existant so the system can (and should) be in auto,unless any other works implicate a possible activation of the detectors.

CO2 systems aren't leftover Steven,they are still in use for specific applications where other methods are not suitable (I have just commissioned three in the past two months).

If an inert agent is used then expense isn't an issue (as opposed to FM200 or equivalent chemical agents) but the actual loss of protection is an issue (the days of reserve banks having all but gone).In a server/IT situation the normal day to day workings mean that activation through automatic means is virtually non-existant so the system can (and should) be in auto,unless any other works implicate a possible activation of the detectors.

From my experience in working in computer/data rooms is that the systems are put into manual due to the severe amount of dust and dirt that is within the room. Therefore maintenance personnel are scared of an accidental activation. Everything is essentially linked back to health and safety and red tape which is the main problem at present. The rooms wouldn't have large amounts of dust and dirt if I.T. could actually allow the cleaners to access the areas to clean. This is only going to get worse with especially the banks imposing blackouts on the rooms due to the economy. As I see it everyone is stuck in a loop and nothing will change until the government sorts itself out.

Archived