Security Installer Community

External Detectors

Guest oddsocks

Guest oddsocks

I have to install some external detectors around a local farmers house, he doesn't want cats/rabbits setting them off though. Are dual techs just as sensitive to little critters?

Guest Gimmick

Would not advise Combined Technology (Dual Tech) detectors on external applications. Most of these combine PIR with Microwave. Externally there is a vast array of movement from objects in the coverage pattern, so you would realistically be operating a PIR (since the microwave side of the system would almost certainly be in constant alarm). These kinds of detectors are also generally designed to operate internally, not externally. The PIR technology would therefore not be designed or operated around the severe conditions associated with external applications.

There are various products that are available, that are designed for external use. There are different ranges of RedWall available, for perimeter protection . . while our company produces an external PIR called VEx. It operates the same patented 12-zone pyro element in the V12, that is currently beating Quad detectors into submission. Comes on an "L" bracket with a tilting head, to allow flexible coverage placement.

External detection is a bit of a grey area to be honest, simply because of the unpredictable nature (uncontrolled) of the environment.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gimmick.

Guest RICHL

I wouldnt bother with beams (sorry Pete!) - you try getting that much money out of a farmer.

Try Crow external PIRs.

What are they going to trigger anyway (alarm, CCTV ...)?

Guest oddsocks

just had another long chat with the farmer, he did want to trigger alarm but I have managed to disuade him from this (and got another problem)

he has agreed to have external sensors triggering cctv and lights - so not so much of a problem there now.

Apparently he has been burgled before and they gained entry by forcing double glazing window open and now he is keen to have some sort of protection on windows as apposed to just pir's once they are already in, problem is his precious everest windows - he does not want them interfered with in any way ie. drilling. Also lives under the flight line of a USAF base (window shaking type plane noise)

so both of my fist suggestions appear to have gone out the window!

any ideas greatly appreciated!

Guest RICHL

You have my sympathy - my family are all farmers ;)

Vibration detectors would be the best option and tell him not to worry about drilling, because any holes you drill will be covered by the detectors (hopefully!). Failing that glass break and PIRs.

It sounds like he has little or no knowledge of alarms, so I think he needs to told what is best.

The Optex range of external detectord (LX-40, LX-80 and VX-40) are SUPERB. We installed hundreds of these in Zimbabwe, and as long as they were correctly installed, we had very few problems. You can adjust them to incorporate a pet alley - ideal for avoiding rabbits etc, and slow them enough to avoid triggering from birds etc breaking the beams.

Use optex, the vx range are very good and a large external installer near us uses cx70 detectors, these are internal detectors but they somehow waterproof them.

Alert security systems is the company.

But try and get him to use the vx402 with voice warning, very effective

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Guest oddsocks

thanks for the info guys, I am still a little nervous about using vibration detectors with the jet planes going overhead though, any thoughts?

Guest RICHL

yeah dont worry about them. Just dont skimp on them so the sens needs to go up too much, and you wont have any bother from the aeroplanes.

Archived