Security Installer Community

Mx2 - An Open Protocol System.....honest ?

esp-protocol

"Whilst we take the stance that our interpretation of MX2 is "open protocol" however, for the avoidance of doubt the terms "software", "firmware" and "open protocol" specifically and expressly excludes the provision by the Trade Contractor of any semi conductor topography, source code, machine software or any software or firmware used for the configuration of a proprietary product whether provided direct by the Trade Contractor or by the Trade Contractor's suppliers or sub-contractors shall be limited to that installled with the proprietary product (the application software) and that the contractor, employer or authority may only have limited entitlement to further copies of software as installed"

:hmm:

:cold2:

If I read this correctly, that means it's about as "open" a protocol as microsoft windows is "open software".

Way I read it is thus.

You can use this protocol but only with the software / hardware we supply and only that hardware, you can't give out copies of this software to anyone and anyone working on this can't modify this in any way shape or form by adjusting hardware / software / firmware, which with "open protocol" you should be able to do as long as you specify what you've modified or what features you've added.

This from Morley?

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

If I read this correctly, that means it's about as "open" a protocol as microsoft windows is "open software".

Way I read it is thus.

You can use this protocol but only with the software / hardware we supply and only that hardware, you can't give out copies of this software to anyone and anyone working on this can't modify this in any way shape or form by adjusting hardware / software / firmware, which with "open protocol" you should be able to do as long as you specify what you've modified or what features you've added.

This from Morley?

Mx2 = ADT/Tyco

Ah ADT/Tyco just like Morley not very open then...

Way I read it is thus.

This from Morley?

How do you modify the software/hardware on an "open protocol" system anyway?

With "open protocol" yes,you have a choice of CIE manufacturers to drive the field devices (some uitilizing more than others) but you still are retricted to using the specifc software and associated items.

Even within this you have companies who use restricted/exclusive software to drive what are seen as open protocol equipment (Morley for example).

Well to modify anything like this requires either the detailed specs of the protocol involved which if its open should be available somewhere or as is sometimes the case a bit of reverse engineering.

If it's reverse engineered it will more than likely be 1 revision or more behind the current.

I mean you need to know the specs of the protocol in order to actually get the device to work with that protocol, be that working voltages / currents / signaling.

I mean look at CCTV for example all those different protocols that have all these different features and work in different ways yet there are generic cameras out there with loads of these protocols built in so they can understand them.

Yes you have to love those "as clear as thick mud on your windscreen" statements

It's almost as bad as a Windows EULA

Well to modify anything like this requires either the detailed specs of the protocol involved which if its open should be available somewhere or as is sometimes the case a bit of reverse engineering.

If it's reverse engineered it will more than likely be 1 revision or more behind the current.

I mean you need to know the specs of the protocol in order to actually get the device to work with that protocol, be that working voltages / currents / signaling.

I mean look at CCTV for example all those different protocols that have all these different features and work in different ways yet there are generic cameras out there with loads of these protocols built in so they can understand them.

That doesn't really come into the fire protocol though - the CIE will drive one particular protocol on a complete system,and this protocol is restricted to a particular manufacturer (Apollo = Apollo,Hochiki = Hochiki etc.).

Archived