Security Installer Community

Sms Alert From Galaxy G2-20

cadgey

Hi

Having installed the G2-20 over a year ago, installing CCTV and extra locks, we still got broken into while away over xmas by someone throwing a brick through a window! The alarm triggered and reset & triggered over 3 hours (who knows what he was doing in the house for that long!) until a neighbour finally investigated.

I want to set the system up to text me, as we would have known what was going on, and I thought I had it worked out! I plugged a phone cable (from a laptop) into the onboard socket, programmed in a Vodafone sms centre and tried it - but it gave me an sms comms fail.

I have a number of questions, some of which may be stupid, or irrelevant, but all help appreciated!

1) Is the socket the easiest way to connect - I realise there is a header as well, but as I had a cable .....

2) I am using the following SMS Service Centre:

Service Provider: Vodafone TAP

Message type....: SMS

Access number...: 07785499993 (Modem)

Comm settings...: 8N1

Text length.....: 160

Max messages....: 2

Smart Messaging.: No

I am assuming that I just dial to this, and they make their money through me dialling their 07xxx number - is this right?

3) The service centre uses a modem format of 8N1 - and from my old days of modems I remember having to set this in an init string - but I can't see how this is set, or what format it might use on the G2-20.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I wish I had gone for the G2-44 now which supports a GSM module ..... but too late now!

cheers

Chris

Why are you connecting it to the outside dialer socket? just connect a normal 50v telephone line a and b on the pcb, and program the settings in the test option under comms, 56, then sms.

Its much easier, just program up centre number, but the one i use always works and was supplied by a tech support ages ago, and bingo instant messaging, just be careful as it has the tendency to text for one alarm activation around 3-4 times.

Andy

Why are you connecting it to the outside dialer socket? just connect a normal 50v telephone line a and b on the pcb, and program the settings in the test option under comms, 56, then sms.

Its much easier, just program up centre number, but the one i use always works and was supplied by a tech support ages ago, and bingo instant messaging, just be careful as it has the tendency to text for one alarm activation around 3-4 times.

Andy

Hi,

Sorry to interupt this post but I too am trying to get SMS text working..... what is this centre No. business?????

Thanks in advance - Mark

Archived