Security Installer Community

Dm Ds2a Dx9c - Hard Drive Replacement Queries

kuchars22

Hello,

Can someone tell me what the requirements are for upgrading the hard drive? I know that DM will charge through the roof to replace a hard drive with their software preinstalled, but I can work out how to clone a disk to disk, but just wanted to check the physical disk requirements, like: can you use IDE or SATA drive; maximum rpm and buffer sizes; any partition requirements, format type etc etc?

Also, I know that you can add an additional drive to the unit, is there a maximum number of drives, and do they have to be of the same size?

Thanks

Even knowing the type of hard disk will not be of help to you. Once a new hard disk is installed in the dvr, the operating system is stored onto it prior to image storage being allocated.

Its been a number of years since I touched a dm dvr, but is it still within the 5 years warranty period? If it is, changing the hard disk yourself will void the warranty.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Even knowing the type of hard disk will not be of help to you. Once a new hard disk is installed in the dvr, the operating system is stored onto it prior to image storage being allocated.

Its been a number of years since I touched a dm dvr, but is it still within the 5 years warranty period? If it is, changing the hard disk yourself will void the warranty.

I'm not sure if it is still in warranty, I believe the hard disk had a two year warranty, I thought the unit itself was two or three also.

Do you mean that the ROM holds the OS and uploads to the new disk once installed? I was thinking of Ghosting the disk to a larger disk, the disk itself isn't faulty, I just want to a) make a backup of the disk if it does fail, and/or B) get a bigger disk for longer record times.

Thanks

DM's primary hard drives contain a bootloader. If I remember correctly, this loads into a ram chip which is cleared on each occasion the unit is powered-up. Sprites also have an NVM that stores the programming settings, time/date ect... plus passwords. I also heard that the hard drive serial number is manually entered onto the NVM at factory via some sort of monitor software/interface.

DM have made a very good piece of kit with their Sprite range and I'm sure that they have done everything possible to protect their baby from non DM upgrades and repairs.

ACE.gif

Hello,

Can someone tell me what the requirements are for upgrading the hard drive? I know that DM will charge through the roof to replace a hard drive with their software preinstalled, but I can work out how to clone a disk to disk, but just wanted to check the physical disk requirements, like: can you use IDE or SATA drive; maximum rpm and buffer sizes; any partition requirements, format type etc etc?

Also, I know that you can add an additional drive to the unit, is there a maximum number of drives, and do they have to be of the same size?

Thanks

I have repaired or upgraded a few of these.

The drives are IDE they don't need to be the same size but I think there is a limit to the size they can be.

I would think that as they come from DM with a max size of 600 GB that this would be 2x 320 GB with about 40 GB for the Software.

I have just used any high end hard drives, seagate tend to run cooler and quieter.

Just format the drive as FAT32 and your off!

If you need the software I can tell you where it is.

Let me know if you need any help.

I have repaired or upgraded a few of these.

The drives are IDE they don't need to be the same size but I think there is a limit to the size they can be.

I would think that as they come from DM with a max size of 600 GB that this would be 2x 320 GB with about 40 GB for the Software.

I have just used any high end hard drives, seagate tend to run cooler and quieter.

Just format the drive as FAT32 and your off!

If you need the software I can tell you where it is.

Let me know if you need any help.

Is the software you are referring to from the DM downloads website (bootloader and all that)?

There is conflicting bits of information on this site, some say it can't be done and some say it can. I've been an IT Tech for the past 10 years and I'm with the "yes you can!" camp, simply because people have reported that it can be done. I don't believe anyone who said it can be done is lying, I've formatted, ghosted or cloned many disks I care to remember, and maybe it's because some people don't have the PC knowledge about hard drives and go with whatever DM say you should do. I don't blame them at all. Infact, I have a source at a well-known security company who said it can be done...!

camullins, I'll probably go for two 320GB Seagates because I know hard drives don't last for more than a few years, so at least I'll have another 320GB if one fails. Do I use Windows to format the disk as one partition, or is there a format option on the DS2? I believe I would then copt the software onto the disk and then plug it into the DS2 and boot up?

Thanks for your help.

i'd look at the Seagate SV series hard disk. These are designed for Secuity applications.

The only seagate SV I've seen is of the 700Gb type, is there a 320gb version? I think Maxtor also have a surveillance version, though I, and many friends, have had many bad experiences with Maxtor.

Modified: Sorry, just did search for SV series and came up with a few smaller sizes. I also saw an article in Computing magazine and they referenced Maxtor as one of their dirves - did Seagate buy them out?

I'm not sure, was a long time ago but I think this article answers your question. Seagate buy Maxtor!

One of the previous companies I used to work for used western digital hard disks. These were very reliable see:

Western Digital HDD for Security

I thinks its just personal preference.

Something that may be of interest. In the past on earlier PC's running DOS & Windows operating systems, there used to be utilities that performed what was known as a low level format. This would wipe a drive clean even the very beginning erasing the boot sector. There was no reversal of this procedure and once performed, a disk was known as being clean.

These days most of the main HDD manufacturers produce tools to perform what is now known as a Zero write. This is in effect the same thing and writes zero's to every bit of every sector. Taking the size of a standard disk, 120GB and performing a zero write to it may take many days to complete. To erase a disk ready for new data, a quick zero write is usually performed that entails writing zero's to the first and last 100MB of the disk and leaving the rest of the data still on the disk. Since the boot sector has been erased, the rest of the disk now contains junk data and therefore no references to it remain.

Once a zero write has been performed the disk is now ready to be formatted in the chosen operating system.

The zero write utility normally comes with other diagnostics used to test the drive so that if a hard disk seems to be failing, the manufacturers diagnostics will usually flag up any errors allowing you to act upon them.

In a general security application, where the hard disk is used in a DVR, I would always contact the manufacturer for hard disk upgrades for the following reasons:

1. If the hard drive is failing even after multiple formats in the dvr (if available), there could be other problems wrong with the DVR that the manufacturer will not tell you about.

2. The manufacturer is better equipped to test your unit in the event of other system failures

3. If you change the hard disk whilst the unit is still within the warranty period and something at a later date fails, the manufacturer will know the unit has been opened either by the Warranty void if broken sticker of the hard disk serial number does not match their records. Your then stuffed. The dvr will normally be shipped back to you without being fixed or an infalted repair bill may be applied.

4. Most dvr's are soak tested (left on test powered up) with the latest software after a repair, for a period of time (typically overnight) to see if the unit fails again. Once they are happy its fixed, you get it back.

Upgrades and repairs out of warranty can be costly and its at this point that a decision has to be made whether its beneficial to be fixed or just to replace the unit with the same or different from another manufacturer/supplier.

In your case with the DM unit, I am unsure what the implications may be with replacing the hard disk yourself mainly since I know that the hard disk contains more than just image storage (ie the bootloader software).

I would advise to be careful and only attempt what you are proposing if you are 100% confident that just replacing the hard disk with solve your problems. If you have any doubts, speak to DM.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

I'm not sure, was a long time ago but I think this article answers your question. Seagate buy Maxtor!

One of the previous companies I used to work for used western digital hard disks. These were very reliable see:

Western Digital HDD for Security

I thinks its just personal preference.

Something that may be of interest. In the past on earlier PC's running DOS & Windows operating systems, there used to be utilities that performed what was known as a low level format. This would wipe a drive clean even the very beginning erasing the boot sector. There was no reversal of this procedure and once performed, a disk was known as being clean.

These days most of the main HDD manufacturers produce tools to perform what is now known as a Zero write. This is in effect the same thing and writes zero's to every bit of every sector. Taking the size of a standard disk, 120GB and performing a zero write to it may take many days to complete. To erase a disk ready for new data, a quick zero write is usually performed that entails writing zero's to the first and last 100MB of the disk and leaving the rest of the data still on the disk. Since the boot sector has been erased, the rest of the disk now contains junk data and therefore no references to it remain.

Once a zero write has been performed the disk is now ready to be formatted in the chosen operating system.

The zero write utility normally comes with other diagnostics used to test the drive so that if a hard disk seems to be failing, the manufacturers diagnostics will usually flag up any errors allowing you to act upon them.

In a general security application, where the hard disk is used in a DVR, I would always contact the manufacturer for hard disk upgrades for the following reasons:

1. If the hard drive is failing even after multiple formats in the dvr (if available), there could be other problems wrong with the DVR that the manufacturer will not tell you about.

2. The manufacturer is better equipped to test your unit in the event of other system failures

3. If you change the hard disk whilst the unit is still within the warranty period and something at a later date fails, the manufacturer will know the unit has been opened either by the Warranty void if broken sticker of the hard disk serial number does not match their records. Your then stuffed. The dvr will normally be shipped back to you without being fixed or an infalted repair bill may be applied.

4. Most dvr's are soak tested (left on test powered up) with the latest software after a repair, for a period of time (typically overnight) to see if the unit fails again. Once they are happy its fixed, you get it back.

Upgrades and repairs out of warranty can be costly and its at this point that a decision has to be made whether its beneficial to be fixed or just to replace the unit with the same or different from another manufacturer/supplier.

In your case with the DM unit, I am unsure what the implications may be with replacing the hard disk yourself mainly since I know that the hard disk contains more than just image storage (ie the bootloader software).

I would advise to be careful and only attempt what you are proposing if you are 100% confident that just replacing the hard disk with solve your problems. If you have any doubts, speak to DM.

Thanks for the advice - I will call them to see if it is still in warranty. Just incidently, the unit was purchased with the sale of the business - do you know if the warranty is transferrable, as it didn't come with any documentation?

Archived