Security Installer Community

12vdc Or 24vac Power Supplies?

gian18778

I would treat the load as purley resistive, and work out the actual total current consumption with an % allowance for additions, 24vac transformers or distrubution solutions are not that expensive, 40 or 50 VA should provide a adequate current, however some day/night cameras do cause the supply to dip when the mechanical filter is in opertation which is worth noting. ( to confirm opertion at the distance and voltage selected, try if possible to do a full test it on the bench before installation)

If the system is required in the opertional requirement to be available at all times, the use of an UPS supplying the transformer and ancillary equipment might be worth investing in.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get some feedback on which power supply source is better suited for long distances (greater than 60 meters)?

12 Volts versus 24Volts.

Twice the voltage means half the current , so half the voltage drop along the cable.

Heres a point though, I have seen a lot of installations with 4A or bigger PSUs powering several cameras, using cat5 or intruder cable. nothing wrong with that, but PLEASE consider what happens if theres a short or a fault, the cable will get hot, very hot. then burn ! If you want a demo, put a length of cable across a 7A battery..............so fuse each one seperately. this goes for locks on access control systems as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived