Security Installer Community

Jpeg 2000 Dvr Help On Upgrading Please

cheapread

Hi all,

I've dropped the standard daily record to 1 x 16 (frame rate?).

I've also added a 500Gb drive....but I think that was a waste of time coz however big the drives , it will only record for x days not a whole month !

So now my question is this .....

I realise that the 30 day scenario can only be achieved by daily archiving onto a CD of what has been saved on the HDU and letting the HDU go into overwrite mode.

BUT a CD can only how very limited data - you can set the start time, but it automatically determines the end time itself and at the moment....that is NOWHERE near a 24 archive, its just a couple of hours......

How can I get 24 hours worth on the CD..... is there an acceptable recording rate on the machine, like 1 x 16 or 1 x 64 or whatever, that will correspond to 24 hours on a CD .

OR will I have to install a DVD writer on the machine - perish the thought ..... upgrading the firmware, buying a new drive etc. aaaagh

( The DVR itself is probably an early model, but works fine....( 4 channel, no sound ; s/w vers 1.14 h/w vers 1.0)

Hi there,

Im a pretty new installer myself and come from an IT backround so I have different opinions than some of the other long time installers. I have taken over many sites with bad cctv systems and previous installers setting machines to get 30 days. It infuriates me that a system is installed on time and not quality. 6 IPS is not a good thing to set a full cctv system on, for example if you have an area that can afford to work of 6 IPS then set that particular ch to 6 IPS but if you have a till covered or a cash counter or a main entrance then 6 IPS isnt worth a ****. CCTV systems should in MY OPINION (purely my thoughts now) be set up with quality in mind. Yes drop the fame rate in a hall or somewhere unimportant but if you need an ID then you need at least 25 frames. I really think if it a small system you should consider an 8ch 1TB or 1.5TB DVR, that gives you expansion and longer recording times and most of all it gives you quality images. Ill say again 30 days is useless if you cant make out the image. We're finally in a situation where 2TB is afordable and its time istallers stopped selling time and started selling quality. And as for the motion, if its a priority area Id forget about it, to sift through motion footage on some DVRs is a pain, also depending on lighting and area covered your motion might not work as well as it did on paper.

My tupence worth is you should buy something like this:

http://www.apcconcepts.co.uk/epages/apccon...cts/DVR-DC8-250

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Hi there,

Im a pretty new installer myself and come from an IT backround so I have different opinions than some of the other long time installers. I have taken over many sites with bad cctv systems and previous installers setting machines to get 30 days. It infuriates me that a system is installed on time and not quality. 6 IPS is not a good thing to set a full cctv system on, for example if you have an area that can afford to work of 6 IPS then set that particular ch to 6 IPS but if you have a till covered or a cash counter or a main entrance then 6 IPS isnt worth a ****. CCTV systems should in MY OPINION (purely my thoughts now) be set up with quality in mind. Yes drop the fame rate in a hall or somewhere unimportant but if you need an ID then you need at least 25 frames. I really think if it a small system you should consider an 8ch 1TB or 1.5TB DVR, that gives you expansion and longer recording times and most of all it gives you quality images. Ill say again 30 days is useless if you cant make out the image. We're finally in a situation where 2TB is afordable and its time istallers stopped selling time and started selling quality. And as for the motion, if its a priority area Id forget about it, to sift through motion footage on some DVRs is a pain, also depending on lighting and area covered your motion might not work as well as it did on paper.

My tupence worth is you should buy something like this:

http://www.apcconcepts.co.uk/epages/apccon...cts/DVR-DC8-250

Hi,

I am just a pleb user of this device in a pub.

It is a bog standard basic machine running with 4 cameras, recording on HDU but I think it

cycles over 2 days max. coz of its 'small' drive 164 Gb.

The authorities require me to have it set to 30 days recording.

So...I need to upgrade this basic DVR so that it can record for a month at a time....

It currently has a standard maxtor 164Gb drive -

I think I can easily enough install two 500 Gb drives -

What I would like to know is - a few tips on how to set it up for recording on a 24 hour basis for 30 days -

I assume I need to set it on default basic resolution 100 IPS

- but what/where do I set the settings for - 'continuous rec 1 times 8x or something...and will I get 30 days worth out of that setting.

Thanks for any help, in anticipation

I've seen this before a fair few times and it causes me so many problems as it's either found out when the customer requires a disk burn from a week ago, or found on a routine inspection.

So, 2 days cycling, and no doubt when you burn 30 minutes of images to CD, it takes 6 CD's. Before you ditch it and possibly throw out a relatively good DVR, I'd get the unit programmed up. Although I may be wrong, I'm quite confident that this DVR came straight out of the box, was connected up, then left. So it's running at it's factory settings which from the box on these units, is everything on the highest settings.

You can get 30 days from this unit if set up correctly. But like whats been said before, increasing the units storage capacity, is always at the expense of image quality and quantity. Where this rule does not apply, is if extra hard drives are fitted.

This is at least worth checking out before you think of throwing it out. :)

ACE.gif

Check the following links before deciding on whether an upgrade is needed:

CCTV and Imaging Technology

General Information

The link below has some good information and examples for you to consider.

Home Office CCTV Operational Requirements

Once you have decided whether an upgrade is warranted, consult: local directories, internet, word of mouth recommendation, to find an installer.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Archived